I need some help

seadoggy

My tank has been up in running for almost 2wks. Before hand it was a bracket tank. I have 3 biowheels, marineland280/330 with a magnium 350/protein skimmer and one power head. My problem I took a water sample up to the store and My PH was fine, my ammonia was zero nitrites were .25 almost zero, and nitrates were 40. So today I bought a dry tab master kit from Aqu pharms The guy at Petsupermarket said it was the best. I test my nitrites they were .25 fine same at the store 2days ago, I then tested my nitrates 140!! they were 40 or less 2days ago!!, then my ammonia it was 2.0ppm and it was zero 2 days ago. So I still have from the same company the drop solution one test it and it was zero? my ammonia that is so I think the nitrates are off as well, but i'm worried because my P. Clown won't eat? I post this in new hobbey but no response...

killafins

What happened is that ur tank is going through what is called a cycle. I would advise for you to get ur clown out of the tank and see if a friend/ lfs or somebody will hold it for u or sell it back and get another one. Ur fish will get stressed out and is the reason it isn't eating. Soon ur nitrates will rise MORE and ur ammonia will go ALOT higher. I am also concerned about ur nitrites, they are quite high too. gl

gregvabch

throw some damsels in there if you want something to look at. they will cycle your tank, and then, depending on your lfs, you can take them back and trade them in for store credit on something that you would rather have.

or you can choose to leave the clown in there, it is a type of damsel after all, they're really hardy just more expensive........a regular damsel is too darn hard to catch when the cycle is over.....give the clown a chance if he continues not to eat, than return him.........I cycle with clowns and it's usually fine

seadoggy

he is starting to eat, now and seem to be fine since day one with swimming but just wasn't eating. he is only eating a little maybe because he is so sm? He will eat a little flake food and some frozen by it has to right around him for him or her to go after.

killafins

i wouldn't worry about moving him now.. .that might be more damage. However in the future it is said it's better to use frozen shrimp from the grocery store or something. I would monitor ur fish and if u see anything wrong dont' let pride overcome u.