I need suggestions on refugiums

ultragrave

I have been a saltwater hobbyist for about 3 yrs now and have numerous trial and erros now i have a 75 gallon salt tank with an underwater wet/dry that i am in process of rebuilding. My question is how will a refugium benefit me if i want to have a reef tank, If anyone can post pictures of their systems i would be greatly appreciated just to giveyou an idea if i do in corporate a refugium tank i need to make sure that its under the Display tank and Above the wet/dry. any help would be greatly appreciated.
i will post a picture as soon as i can

Sorry I don't have a pic handy..but refugiums are used for a couple different reasons.
- grow macro algea to export nutrients, lowers nitrates, phosphates, and silicates. Also for food for herbivores.
- PH stability, lights on while display lights off, keeps PH swings from occuring
- grow beneficial pods, live food
- added water volume for greater system stability
- space for more live sand/ live rock for better filtration
- area to safely grow out coral frags
These are just a few of the benefits of refugiums
Really no down side except for space issues and more equipment to power.

razoreqx

Originally posted by MaroonClownFan
Sorry I don't have a pic handy..but refugiums are used for a couple different reasons.
- grow macro algea to export nutrients, lowers nitrates, phosphates, and silicates. Also for food for herbivores.
- PH stability, lights on while display lights off, keeps PH swings from occuring
- grow beneficial pods, live food
- added water volume for greater system stability
- space for more live sand/ live rock for better filtration
- area to safely grow out coral frags
These are just a few of the benefits of refugiums
Really no down side except for space issues and more equipment to power.

you forgot exteamly fun to watch!!!!

Yes!!! and fun to watch too....thnx
I get a lot of cool looking little reef critters in my refugium that would be hard to see in the display.

ultragrave

i am attempting to upload an image of my tank and show you the space i have available for the refugium
now in most cases how would you attempt to design this
from the sump(wet/dry) return to the display tank, then from the display to the refugium, then from the ref tank to the wet/dry?
or should i rethink the process?

ultragrave

excuse the mess the lid is being rebuilt as of a week ago
it is my first tank design and i didn't account for the evaporation needed as well as the condensation factor so as you can see it needs a good sanding and refinished.

IMO
I would go Display to refugium to wet/dry to Display....
Only one pump would be needed if overflows were used in Display and Refugium.
I would take out the shelf and position the refugium next and higher than the wet/dry.
Let gravity do the work.
Just a suggestion...

ultragrave

unfortunatly the shelf is part of the stand thats how it keeps its stucture sound. But i was thinking of putting the refugium on the second shelf above the wet dry and let the refugium work sololy on siphon, low cost higher filtration.:happyfish