I need to replace my Flame Angel

zik69

My Flame Angel is one of the first and favorite fish that I got when I started my tank about a year ago. I just started to get into corals and unfortunately I got a bad boy that nips at everything. One of the reasons I liked that fish is it's beautiful red color and now I have to take him out of the tank. I'm looking for suggestions on what should I get that's similar in color, with the max size up to 6", and is totally reef safe. Thanks.

calaxa

Are you sure he is nipping at the corals or perhaps he sees some pods/food on them. I'd give this guy some leeway as he is one of my favorite fish as well. You rule out a lot of fish with the 6" requirement. The totally reef safe basically eliminates all dwarf angels as well since they all like to nip a bit. I'm not sure of anything that compares to the flame angels in terms of coloration with those requirements.

oceanlover

While it is not red, the Coral Beauty Angel is reef safe. It has glowing colors. It does not perch on everything like the Flame Angel.
How about a Midas Blenny? They are a beautiful golden orange-yellow color and they swim around a lot and have interest in the tank's happenings.

calaxa

Coral Beauty is also similar to the flame. Cannot be totally trusted since it will have a tendancy to nip. It's also a very nice looking fish, though flame is probably more striking. I would say royal gramma and the similar pseudochromis have nice coloration and are reef safe. However, beware their personalities.

zik69

I think I'm gonna stay away from angels for now. I haven't had much luck with grammas, so I added a dottyback. I also have a bicolor blenny, so I think midas is not an option as they would probably fight. I know there are some wrasses that are red, but I've heard that they're jumpers and I have an open top tank.

The only positively reef safe angel is any Genicanthus species. They are not dwarf's but some are still very beautiful. The swallowtail is very nice.