I really hate algae...

inikii

We have a 44 galon hex aquarium that was at one time freeshwater...after having another, small saltwate raquarium we decided to convert the 44 gal one to slatwater. The tank has been empty for a few months, but there is still a great deal of algae on the glass. Can I use windex or something to clean it off, or should I use something special to get rid of the stuff? (Its bright green and everywhere!).
Thanks!

broomer5

Please don't use Windex or any other household type cleaner in or on your tanks. No matter how well we think we have rinsed out the empty tank or glass, there may still be some "chemical" residue that may harm your fish/inverts. There are some products available for cleaning inside and outside of aquariums, "Safe & Easy" is what I have found works pretty good. It is made by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals, and is non-toxic to both fresh and saltwater fish. I would imagine a product like this and some elbow grease / razor should get most of the dried algae off the glass.
Good Luck !!
Broomer

mr . salty

I also use Safe& easy, Works good on the outside but still needs to be thoroughly rinsed when used inside. After more thought, table salt may also be too abrasive for acryic tanks
[This message has been edited by MR . SALTY (edited 06-12-2000).]