I set it up!!! (finally)

Today was the day my friends! I am now the proud owner of a 55 gallon tank that I can now all an aquarium. I do have a few questions though. About my SG, I only poured in about 40 gallons of RO water and used most of a 50 gallon bag of instant ocean, how soon can I expect this to be dissolved in the water because right now my SG is sitting at 1.020 with my water temp running a little high at 80 degrees. Will the concentration increase at lower temperatures?(I knew I should have paid attention in chemistry) also connected to my light bar is a black box which is some kind electrical equipment, but the problem is that it gets extremely hot, is there anything I could place this on so it won't burn someone or catch on fire? Thanks all.
P.S. I also got a steal on some live rock for 2.50 a pound :D

sangysc

Many congratulations are in order!! The SG should rise as the salt more fully dissolves over the course of a day or two. Place a powerhead or other such pump into the tank to help eliminate any spots that may have collected un-dissolved salt. And in the future pay close attention to the mixing ratios of salt-to-water that is posted on the bag/box...they are quite accurate. One other thing, make certain you always mix your water outside of the tank, itself... mixing in the tank could be a disaster for its inhabitants. Be patient and have fun!
SangySC

mr . salty

This "black box"is the ballast.It is what converts the houshold current,to the correct voltage to power the lights.They do get hot.I doubt if it will get hot enough to catch fire though.I have all of mine mounted directly to the inside of my wooden cabinet,and never had any problems...