i think i have bristle worms>>

55reef55

Im not for sure... but i was moving some rock today b/c my mom said there was a worm thing with bristles on each side and it was huge. So i was like uhh whatever and moved the rock and sure enough there was 3 worms about 6-7 inches long maybe an inch wide with little bristles going down both sides. They had 2 red strips going down the back and looked gross. Here is my question what are they? Good or bad for tank?
also i think im getting rid of them just b/c they are huge and nasty looking, i would post pics but i dont have the wires for my digital camera. If you can post pics of a bristle worm or somthing that you think it might be and i Will identify if it is or not.

ebeckels

typically they are good...when they get enormous they could be bad...but basically people will pay for bristle worms in a detritvoire kit...congrats!

nm reef

I agree that IF they are large they MAY be a problem. Personally I think bristle worms are over all good to have in a reef system. They provide positive benefits and are a positive part of the diversity needed to maintain a stable balanced system.Like ebeckels said....lots of folks PAY good money to add that kind of diversity...and it ain't cheap!!!Heck man ...catch 'em and send 'em to me!!!lol
*_^

55reef55

well i would but i think they dead already they are in a jar of my saltwater.. bu i mean they are huge.. never b4 seen them at big, and tell me a price on what you will pay for them, they all are about 6 inches long and about an half to a full inch wide.

drew_tt

believe me, no one is going to pay for large bristle worms
smaller ones are bought because they are good sand sifters, detritus eaters, and do a good job of cleaning
and chances are if you were able to catch them with ease, they might be dead ;) are they moving?
Drew :)

55reef55

oh they were well moving alot.. sorta fast things.. and they were craling though a rock i got that has holes in it. all 3 were with my gobi, and enginer gobi under a rock so all three were scuped up by my net.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
<a href="http://www.aquarium.net/0697/0697_2.shtml" target="_blank">BristleWorm Info/Pic</a>

55reef55

thanks beth that helped alot.. and yes im getting rid of them they are just too big and nasty looking LOL well thanks again