I think I made a mistake in buying MH

wildcats

Hi there,
I bought a PFO dual 250w metal halide system...but now I'm thinking it might be over kill for my tank. The tank is only 36" long X 20" high X 18" deep, it's a 65 gallon. It might be too much light!!! What do you think??? I will be using the MH with my 2 No lights.... Please give me your advice!!!!
Thanks
Wildcat

sharkbyte1023

Well...what are you planning on keeping in the tank? I use 175's on my soft tanks but i also have softs and lps corals in with 250's and all my acros are lit with 400's Depending on your canopy...you will run into a problem with heat. If you can give me an idea on what you are planning on keeping and the type of enclosure you are going to use for the lights i will be glad to give you advice on my experiences with them. Best of luck.

ironreef

most corals willl ike the light if you acclimate them correctly. I've seen 29g tanks with 250w mainly sps. But my green sinularia is @6" away from the halides. Heat maybe the only concer. If you have fans in the canopy and heat isn't an issue. i think 250w in a 3' tank is nice lighting for spsand clams. even softies. I would only house one or the other, IMO it will create less stress when the corals get over a foot long. I've seen 40g breeder with 2 400w and 4 110w vho =sps tank. Its not the light its what you keep.

mlm

You can get 4 inch fans at Radio Shak for 25 dollars. You just have to make a plug for them.

wildcats

I Plan on keeping a little bit of everything...soft...clams...etc...
My hood is made from wood. It's a big box...i do have two 4" fans. One pulling air in and the other blowing out. Oh yeah the back of the hood is open, if that helps.