I think I'm getting hosed...

earlybird

By the place I purchased my boat. I need a new gland transom seal kit for my hydraulic steering. I told the person in charge of parts/service that I intend to fix it myself and just need the part ordered. That was 1 month ago Monday. I was told it should be in later that week, called and was told "hopefully next week." Next week I called and was told, "hope it comes in this week we've got a boat in needing the exact part so I ordered a few to keep them in stock." It never came in that week. Next week I call and was told the middle of the month I asked for a date and was told the week of the 14th (this week). The supposed problem is it's the manufacturer is in Canada and they don't keep it in stock. What the...? The manufacturer doesn't keep it in stock. Sounds fishy to me. I know canada is slow but a month to get the part? The part is only $85 but I called around and there's a place that has the part but for $120. Yesterday I called and the service manager who promised to call teleflex and then promised to call me back. I haven't heard anything since and received no call. I'm pissed, I missed some nice fishing weather and a few week days off and have 2 days off next week.
I'm going to call today but am looking for advice on how to handle the situation. I suspect that my part was used to fix the boat that they had in their shop and they are waiting on another part for me. I'm not looking for special treatment but I did spend over 20K at their store.
Thanks.

groupergenius

Is it a newer boat? Seems to me with all the boat builders here in Florida, there has got to be some around.
I could check with Gause Built, Stamas, Dorado, or Quality T-Tops up here if I knew exactly what your looking for.
But as far as places where you buy a boat, they really don't seem to care about the customer after the initial sale. That's pretty much normal. They made their money off you now it's time to sell another boat.

earlybird

It's the gland kit for the transom on telefles marine's baystar model. I doubt Gause or Dorado will have it. They probably just have the seastar model as most of their boats have 150HP or more. The baystar model is for under 150HP. Thanks though.
Should I trump the service manager and talk to the general manager?
Speaking of Gause did you see their new flats boat? Crazy price tag on it.

scotts

Well really there are a couple of questions; how much of a pain do you want to be, is the service person new, how much do you deal with the service person........
But really if I were you I would make a bit of a stink about it. So yes you should complain to the general manager. Or even somebody has to own the store, you could mention it to them. You know I used to feel bad about getting the service person in trouble, until I looked at it this way. If they don't know about the problem, they can't fix it. I mean if I owned that store and had an employee treating a customre they way that you are being treated, I would want to know about it so that I could make sure it does not happen again.

earlybird

The service person is a woman who has been working there doing the same job for over 20 years. This is considered one of the top boat stores in SW Florida and there are a lot of them. It's a newer boat so I haven't had to use them much before this but wouldn't trust my boat to be fixed by any other shop. I don't want to burn bridges but I want my part and I want it now.

groupergenius

Originally Posted by earlybird
http:///forum/post/2514192
It's the gland kit for the transom on telefles marine's baystar model. I doubt Gause or Dorado will have it. They probably just have the seastar model as most of their boats have 150HP or more. The baystar model is for under 150HP. Thanks though.
Should I trump the service manager and talk to the general manager?
Speaking of Gause did you see their new flats boat? Crazy price tag on it.
I would go to the big dog in charge. The other avenue is not producing results.
All these builders are coming out with these "technical" skiffs. Way overpriced IMHO. But folks are buying them.
Go figure.