i think my Hippo has ich

sthlts

I got a order of fish from saltwaterfish.com all of the fish are great but I think my Hippo tang has ich. I'm not sure what to do, it looks like he has a light coat of powdered sugar on him. I don't have a Qtank set up but I do have a seperate 65 gallon tank with a snowflaeke eel in great health. Can i move my hippo in that tank to treat him? Do eels get ick? I'm trying to geta pic of the Hippo tang but he is new to the tank and very shy.
HELP

Tangs are ick magnets, so it's not surprising. I'm not sure if eels get ick but I don't think they do. Post this in the disease treatment area on here and you will get the answers you need.
As far as what to do you are going to need to treat the tang to kill the ick parasite. How to do that is also in the disease forum. I would recommend doing hyposalinity.

sepulatian

I moved your thread here where you are likely to get more assistance with this.
What all do you have in the tank that the hippo is in? Hippos are prone to coming in with ich. He has infected the rest of your fish. They will all need to be treated.

sthlts

its a 150 gallon tank
1 yellow tang
1 hippo tang
2 clowns
4 anenomes
5 damsels
1 foxface
1 copperband butterfly
50 hermitcrabs
50 snails a few different kinds
250 LR
5 emerald crabs

sepulatian

Originally Posted by sthlts
http:///forum/post/2888335
its a 150 gallon tank
1 yellow tang
1 hippo tang
2 clowns
4 anenomes
5 damsels
1 foxface
1 copperband butterfly
50 hermitcrabs
50 snails a few different kinds
250 LR
5 emerald crabs
Well, you can't exactly perform hypo on the display with all that you have. Moving all of the fish into the 60 would be a great idea except for the eel. Eeels do pretty well with hyposalinity though. I hate to see a healthy fish get infected, but he likely won't get it anyway. It would take too long to cycle another tank. You would have to move any live rock and inverts that are in with the eel.

sthlts

Originally Posted by sepulatian
http:///forum/post/2888353
Well, you can't exactly perform hypo on the display with all that you have. Moving all of the fish into the 60 would be a great idea except for the eel. Eeels do pretty well with hyposalinity though. I hate to see a healthy fish get infected, but he likely won't get it anyway. It would take too long to cycle another tank. You would have to move any live rock and inverts that are in with the eel.
the live rock and eel came out of the DT about 5 days ago, they were in with the fish that may be sick now. i have to assume that there is ick in the rock.
The only fish that has small spots on it is the hippo tang. is there a chance that the other fish are not sick?

sepulatian

Originally Posted by sthlts
http:///forum/post/2888365
the live rock and eel came out of the DT about 5 days ago, they were in with the fish that may be sick now. i have to assume that there is ick in the rock.
The only fish that has small spots on it is the hippo tang. is there a chance that the other fish are not sick?
They have all been exposed to ich. They could fight it off but ich will still be in that tank. If your fish fall slightly ill, for any reason, or you add a new fish without quarantine then you will have an ich explosion again. If the eel and rock were in with him anyway, and the 60 is fully cycled, then put all of the fish into the 60. Put the rock back into the display, and hypo them all. By the time that the treatment is done the display will be free of ich. You will be able to put the rock back in with the eel.