I think my new frogspawn reproduced asexually??

fishmamma

I recently added a frogspawn to my tank (less than one week ago) and this morning I noticed a bright green bud of some sort in the live rock on the other side of the tank. I am totally confused by this. I also added MH lights last week so at first though it something re-growing on the live rock that died back during shipping etc.. But now I am thinking this may be what happened though I am surprised since the coral has just been moved. :
"Support for this latter hypothesis comes from the third type of asexual reproduction that I have witnessed in Euphyllia corals. In this type of reproduction, which I first observed at ---- Perrin's Tropicorium, miniature polyps of a large colony of Frogspawn Coral were "ejected" when the coral was gently agitated. These daughters then sealed themselves and settled to the bottom, where they attached to the substrate. After several weeks they began to excrete a skeleton and this is how a new colony started. This latter mode of reproduction appeared to be able to produce the most offspring in that ---- reported that this colony produced two or three new daughters every day. He further acknowledged the survival rate was not that great in that the current in these tanks often moved these daughters onto other corals where they were stung and killed."
Does stress promote this type of asexual reproduction? Anyone witnessed this before and had the bud survive?

dogstar

Possible, Ive had my FS and hammer stick to my hand or a cleaning tool by accident and get pulled to a point were the tentical snaps and then floats off. They do glow very bright but never has sprouted. Not saying they dont just in my tank theres alot of activity from current and fish, ect.
I quess if this was common people would be cutting them to frag or just takes too long. Just thinking and cant say for sure.
Might try and put them in a cup with rock rubble and maybe a screen over it in the light and keep us posted.

fishmamma

This small fragment seems nestled in a small indentation in the live rock. It is not moving at all in the current and is quite small, the size of a newly forming zoanthid polyp. I actually am not sure if I should be rooting for what ever it is since it is nestled amongst my zoanthid colonies. Not a very good place for a random coral. Interesting none the less and I will keep you updated for sure!

misfit

i have had this happen at fraggin my frogspawn,it looked like a polyp was "dripping" off like a tear then fell to the bottom but have not seen a new sprout from it yet. I tto have lots of circulation and fish. Maybe that is why, also I'm sure it takes a good while.

fishmamma

Hmm. I have seen my Yasha goby try and eat the longer feeding/sweeper tenticles so it is possible he snapped one off and it settled on the rock. That is probably what happened. :thinking: