I Think This Is Too Cool

promisetbg

A couple months ago I added a burgundy linckia to my reef that had been doing very well at the shop for a few months. Within a week in my tank he dropped all six of his legs. My first reaction was oh no...but then I noticed this was different than disintigration that you see with most linckias that fall apart. The legs had sealed off on the main body, and all the legs were crawling around the tank. So I read up on them, and in fact like the multiflora..this linckia can reproduce this way. I figure he must've gotten into the back of my tank and once there he figured he needed some help cleaning up.
So...without further ado...I present to you little red, and some of his cloned self.
These were taken very early this morning before lights on:

Pretty cool..looks like I'm in the tank huh?

This one was with flash.

This is the top side... the new legs growing are paler or more regular red than the upper side of the body which is burgundy. He's thinking ..."I hope to grow up like "Big Blue" some day".

shlovell16

Wow, thanks for catching a picture of that.
Ever since I found out that's something they do I was fascinated with it.
Nice shots!

promisetbg

They are both linckias. They must have a very mature reef tank with at least 80-100 Lbs. of LR or more. The tank should be no smaller than a 75..preferably larger. They also must be handled and acclimated properly at each stop they make. That means the wholesaler, the LFS, and you must acclimate them by drip method for 4+ hours. If not they will suffer osmotic shock and they will lose their legs usually first, melt away..or just disintegrate. They are not an easy animal to keep. Often the damage does'nt show up until days to weeks later. It is not really known exactly what they eat, that is why a mature reef is so important.

ophiura

Awesome pics!
The burgundy Linckia is Echinaster luzonicus

They do need large systems, though IMO the blue needs larger. Two in one tank - just a warning to other readers - may mean that both will starve in time. Not necessarily happening here, but it is generally not a good plan except in large large systems to try and keep both. If you have success with one, that is success enough, IMO

promisetbg

I will be finding the little ones' homes. I think my tank is mature and "dirty enough" for both of them for now. It will be 4 soon. They will both be going into a larger system next year, and my friend with a 300 gal will keep them until my new tank matures.
Thanks Ophiura, and everyone for the compliments. I know you are passionate about seastars Ophiura,and touchy about how they are kept. I feel this way about mandarins..I wish they cost $100.+...less would die.

shogun323

Promisetbg. Are you by chance in the Tampabay Area? If so, I am curious to know what local LFS stores you reccommend.

promisetbg

Thanks everyone. Shogun I am in Orlando, but have heard nothing but good things about Fish & Other Ichthy Stuff. I think he is in Oldsmar near Safety Harbor. I have never made it there, as he was always closed the same day we are.

shogun323

Thanks Promise. I didnt mean to hijack the thread. I have been to Fish and other Ichthy stuff a few times. The store is nice however the owner is not. He is actually known by local hobbyists and LFS's as the "fish nazi" as he isn't friendly and looks down on the newbie. Anyways thanks for your response and this great thread!!!

promisetbg

Oh bummer...that's not cool. It's weird, there are a few stores around here like that. I always wonder why they are in this business, and how they stay in it! You need to make a road trip, and come where I am...we are way cool.

shogun323

Yeah I find it an interesting business model too. I would think that newbies would be an LFS favorite as the costs of initial setup is alot of $$$$. Anyway, there are a couple I like. I will have to either stop by in Orlando or you can open a nice newbie friendly store in Clearwater. We have great beaches!!! Anyways, thanks for your response.