I Wanna build a 55 gallon reef tank, but where do i start?

dexfire

For years, ive been wanting to build a salt water reef tank, but i dont know what i need, and i dont know what to do. Im new at this, so i dont know any of the terminology that goes along with maintaning a reef tank. I do know that i want a 55 gallon tank, to go along with the library im builing. Any suggestions?

iechy

If you're building a library then the starting point I'm going to suggest fits in nicely. Before you buy anything else buy some good books. Two good ones are - Corals:Selection and Husbandry and Natural Reef Aquariums. Read them and whatever other ones you like before you do anything and then you can know where you want to go with your tank and go from there. I wish I had done it that way at first. It will save you plenty of time, money, headaches, and losses. HTH. GL.

slick

Like these guys said read a lot before you start to buy stuff. You will be putting a lot of money into your tank.

jmgrn

Two good books to start with are- " The New Marine Aquarium", by Michael S. Paletta, and "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist", by Robert M. Fenner. Also do yourself a giant favor, when you decide on the brand of tank you're going to purchase [Oceanic, All-Glass, etc] buy a "reef ready" tank, one that has drain and return plumbing included, you'll save yourself a million headaches. Probably have to spend a few more bucks to buy that type of tank, get used to buying quality equipment, its not cheap. If you're interested in a cheap hobby, try collecting string. Theres alot of valuable info and advice at this bb, good luck.

dexfire

Thanks guys, for the help... i had another question..... i heard there a few ways of taking care of your tank. This one guy told me that he changes 20 percent of the salt water with real salt water from a local beach spot, and he hasnt had any problems for 10 years with the same tank, and the same ole clownfish. (in miami the temperature really never changes) Is it really worth going to the beach, or do the filters take care of everything

iechy

I would suggest mixing your own water instead. When you collect real seawater from the beach you never know what you are picking up with it. Someone could have dumped something which will wipe out your whole tank. If you were going offshore to collect it it'd probably be safer but I'd stick with homemade if I were you.

bdhough

Yeah dare i say miami doesn't have a reef near it?
The chemistry of that salt water may be entirely different than say from reef water from hawaii.
Not that i know much about chemistry but it just makes sense to me.
And like Iechy said you don't know what "stuff" is floating around there.

A

alti

you will have to do water changes. the frequency depends on your stocking levels and your tank setup. i would not recommend using water from the ocean because there is too great a risk of contamination. you can buy marine salt mix from your local fish store.
the absolute most important thing for you to do now is have patience and do a little research. i wish i had found these message boards before i set up my first tank. i made so many mistakes that could have been prevented if i had the right information.

kevin j

All I can say is read read then read some more!:D There were several very good books that were named here. Also very good advice given dont buy cheep stuff you will only replace it later(talking from experiance). Also once you read the books decide if you want a sump or not that will help you decide what equip. to buy. Good Luck:D