I want to add live sand and have a ?

jla9508

I currently have 75 lbs of play sand in my tank and wanted to seed it with live sand. How much sand should I get to seed it? Do I just pour it on top or should I mix it in a little? Will adding a few pounds cause a mini cycle?

I have a 55 in which I changed from cc to a lsb. I added 60lbs of dead sand and topped it with 25 lbs of ls right here from SWF. I also done some searching on the subject and found that you really only need a small percentage of ls to seed the dead sand. Just like 10-20 percent. It does seem to me however the more you use the quicker it would seed. I do see too that you also have lr. The bacteria off of your lr will also help seed your ls.
Hope this helps!

tyrfing

"LS" is good, but really you will want to go with a DSB. Check out the last two pages and you'll find a few posts on DSB and Southdown, one of them will give you the calculations for a 4-6" SB for maximum stability in your tank. If you already have some play sand, you may as well add another 50 lb bag and get the benefits.

kris

add as much as it takes to put you at that approx 4 inch range. I laid mine right on top-didn't mix at all.