I will upgrade later

sepulatian

Many people claim this. PLEASE do not buy any stock that you cannot accommodate now. Many people buy animals that they cannot successfully keep, with the promise of upgrading later. Those upgrades tend not to happen, or happen much later than expected. The only one that suffers is the animal in question. Please stock what you can successfully keep NOW. Add more after you do upgrade.

espkh9

i disagree i have upgraded 4x since i bought my blue hippo tang, (1 inch) 2 years ago in my 55 gallon,to a 75 gallon to a 125 reef,(4.5 inches) and an office tank of 210.
i gave my 75 gallon to my friend. so its ok in my opinion to buy a tang if you have a small tank and upgrade when necessary. i said i would upgrade and i did...what makes you so certain others won't ? when i had my first child we lived in a 2 bedroom apt. i said when i had more kids i would "upgrade" to a house, i did. should i buy a 7 bedroom house when i had 1 child to make room for the other 7 i might have ? there or more important problems to focus on, not this...stop being so repetative.

espkh9

and SEP may be a genious but lets not all jump on her band wagon...on whatever she says she knows alot but just becuase she makes a thread if your an experienced hobbyist have an open mind this doesn't mean she doesnt give great advice although a bit dramatic for me..lol but its not what sep says +1 to evr single comment.

perfectdark

Originally Posted by Espkh9
http:///forum/post/2604665
i disagree i have upgraded 4x since i bought my blue hippo tang, (1 inch) 2 years ago in my 55 gallon,to a 75 gallon to a 125 reef,(4.5 inches) and an office tank of 210.
i gave my 75 gallon to my friend. so its ok in my opinion to buy a tang if you have a small tank and upgrade when necessary. i said i would upgrade and i did...what makes you so certain others won't ? when i had my first child we lived in a 2 bedroom apt. i said when i had more kids i would "upgrade" to a house, i did. should i buy a 7 bedroom house when i had 1 child to make room for the other 7 i might have ? there or more important problems to focus on, not this...stop being so repetative.
I disagree 100%, although there maybe exceptions, case in point. More often than not thats not what happens and ultimatly the fish suffers, and the poster will ask what could of happened ignoring the obvious, that the environment wasnt the correct one for the fish.
I dont think this repetative, IMO this is good advice. Not every hobbiest starts out being a responsible one. I would say most are from lack of knowledge, but many are from not wanting to accept what is right for some livestock and what isnt. All they want to hear is that yes you can. IMO

reefkprz

I would have to say that I dissagree with sepulatian on more than one subject but this is not one of them. the road to hell is paved with good intentions. many claim they will upgrade, but who can forsee that when the need comes they will be able to, maybe rich people, but we arent all rich. I definatly agree, only purchase what you can comfortably house as is in your current tank. its the only way to be sure.
there are exception to a lot of things, upgrading as you went worked for you, but it wont work for everyone the safer rule is to only buy what you can house.

reefkprz

should i buy a 7 bedroom house when i had 1 child to make room for the other 7 i might have ? .
this is kind of a silly comparison, the grouper IS going to get 4 feet, not if it gets 4 feet. you might have another 6 kids but its not gauranteed....

renogaw

http:///forum/post/2604671
what sep says +1 to evr single comment.

Originally Posted by reefkprZ

http:///forum/post/2604686
I would have to say that I dissagree with sepulatian on more than one subject but this is not one of them. the road to hell is paved with good intentions. many claim they will upgrade, but who can forsee that when the need comes they will be able to, maybe rich people, but we arent all rich. I definatly agree, only purchase what you can comfortably house as is in your current tank. its the only way to be sure.
there are exception to a lot of things, upgrading as you went worked for you, but it wont work for everyone the safer rule is to only buy what you can house.

+1

matt b

YOU may have but 90% of the people dont.

ophiura

There is no doubt that people buy all manner of fish without both the knowledge that it will grow or intent to buy something larger. A large number of people believe they can just trade a fish in, like a used car. For some fish it may work, but many people do not recognize when a fish has outgrown the system (or worse the fish is already compromised and stunted).
I strongly encourage people to buy fish for the tank they have, and not a dream of having a bigger tank. I would give a little room if the tank is not in "hand" but the budgeting has begun. But a lot of people just offhandedly say "oh yeah I'll get a bigger tank" and never do.
I wholeheartedly welcome sepulatian's "repetitiveness" and hope it continues. It is a significant sign of a commitment to the hobby and hobbyists beyond the norm - a very consistent and passionate voice that I am thrilled to have here on SWF.

rabbit_72

For 4 years now, we have discussed getting a 150 gal tank or more. We started with a 55. Now we are still only up to a 90. Yes, we will get there one day, but not today. We had other things happen in those 4 years, like we had two more children and bought a house. And with the economy being what it is right now, people aren't going to have the money to upgrade their fish tanks. Got to fill that gas tank (with stupid ethenol) first.

espkh9

all i'm saying (andi expected everyone to side with SEP...lol) not offended but is there facts or proof that most ppl dont upgrade ? alot of ppli know upgradeall the time ?
so what proof or facts canyou have that supports saying a comment like 90% ppl do not upgrade ?
like i said sep is really passionate and smart and i admire her (i think its a her) but sometimes to extreme for me i have been doing this for a quite a few years..even though in my profile it says 1 or 2 years thats for sps corals...but i have my methods that may be different than others for different situations that work for me...someone in some other thread called me irreasponsible...caused i said my knees were killing from doind 150 gallon changes on an ammonia pike in 3 tanks...to save 20 fish.. and who knows how many corals and inverts..the last thing at that momment on my mind was worrying about an illusion that my CT was a bit skinny and might have worms..besides i feed every prepared food with garlic,zoe and vitamin C..I work so hard on my tanks.. look at my 125 reef FTS i think its beautiful.. i work hours and hours to keep it that way...so for someone to call me ireasposnible and i should wuit this hobby hurts and is completely out of line and unfair.

rabbit_72

Far be it for me to call anyone "irresponsible". Hubby and I made plenty of mistakes when we started in this hobby. Even bought a blue tang in a 55 gallon tank.
I guess we all learn from our mistakes. But I do believe that you should only buy a fish that your current tank can properly house. My beautiful tang died in that 55 gallon for no apparent reason, and she wasn't overly large.

alix2.0

should i buy a 7 bedroom house when i had 1 child to make room for the other 7 i might have ?
actually, i would reccommend you buy a 9 bedroom house to prevent overcrowding. also, if you frequently have guests, you may want to take that into consideration.
sep, i 100% agree. good job.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by Espkh9 http:///forum/post/2604859
all i'm saying (andi expected everyone to side with SEP...lol) not offended but is there facts or proof that most ppl dont upgrade ? alot of ppli know upgradeall the time ?
so what proof or facts canyou have that supports saying a comment like 90% ppl do not upgrade ?
I certainly was not trying to offend anyone, at all, by stating that I don't think that people should buy fish that they cannot accommodate now. As for proof, take a look around these boards. Take a look in Disease and Treatment at how many people have their tangs fall ill for apparently no reason with HLLE, Lymphocystis, bacterial infections, etc while their water readings are fine, only for us to find out that they are housed in small aquariums. I don't expect anyone to take my word for it. Look around here. Do outside research on it. People buy groupers, sharks, and other fish that they cannot house. When people tell them that then they claim that they will upgrade. Some people do, without a doubt, upgrade. Many do not.
like i said sep is really passionate and smart and i admire her (i think its a her) but sometimes to extreme for me i have been doing this for a quite a few years..even though in my profile it says 1 or 2 years thats for sps corals...but i have my methods that may be different than others for different situations that work for me.
That is great. People find their own way of doing things. As long as it is working, more power to you

..someone in some other thread called me irreasponsible...caused i said my knees were killing from doind 150 gallon changes on an ammonia pike in 3 tanks...to save 20 fish.. and who knows how many corals and inverts..the last thing at that momment on my mind was worrying about an illusion that my CT was a bit skinny and might have worms..besides i feed every prepared food with garlic,zoe and vitamin C..I work so hard on my tanks.. look at my 125 reef FTS i think its beautiful.. i work hours and hours to keep it that way...so for someone to call me ireasposnible and i should wuit this hobby hurts and is completely out of line and unfair.
I think you may be upset with me because of this thread https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/319615/clown-trigger-sick-worms
I am sorry, but you were posting that your trigger was eating well and becoming increasingly skinny, then his stomach was bloated. Within one day you then stated that you were 99% sure that he was fine and didn't want help. This is not the first time that you have asked for help and then did a 180 on the person trying to help you. I am not sure why. I do notice a lot of misunderstandings going on in your posts. Perhaps this is one of them.

stdreb27

Originally Posted by sepulatian
http:///forum/post/2604993
I am sorry, but you were posting that your trigger was eating well and becoming increasingly skinny, then his stomach was bloated. Within one day you then stated that you were 99% sure that he was fine and didn't want help. This is not the first time that you have asked for help and then did a 360 on the person trying to help you. I am not sure why.
Actually the correct terminology would be 180.

And I agree, I don't know how many people I've seen who just buy them stick em in little tanks and say oh I'll upgrade, then never do. At an lfs I used to go to they had a mature MBU puffer (a 200 dollar fish as a juvi) in a 150 gallon cube tank. The poor guy is about 30 inches long. He can't turn around. And what peeves me is they have empty 200 gallon displays that they don't run. That would be a little more sutable, I've asked several times and hear the same oh well we plan on moving him.

sepulatian

http:///forum/post/2607181
simple what data does anyone have that supports that 90%of ppl dont upgrade.
The percent was given by one person. We don't have stats, if that is what you are looking for. Feel free to go through this board post by post, forum by forum, cross referencing who has what and tell us what the exact number is though. Does my original statement become less true because we don't have a number to give you? Would you mind helping us all out and finding out that exact number? It would be very much appreciated

matt b

Originally Posted by sepulatian
http:///forum/post/2607195
The percent was given by one person. We don't have stats, if that is what you are looking for. Feel free to go through this board post by post, forum by forum, cross referencing who has what and tell us what the exact number is though. Does my original statement become less true because we don't have a number to give you? Would you mind helping us all out and finding out that exact number? It would be very much appreciated

+1 to what ever you say! LOL. Sorry for the percent
I was just trying to make a point. I see people at my LFS ALL the time buy a tang or angel and say ah he will be fine for a few yrs. Even IF you are going to upgrade DO NOT get a fish planning on upgrading. What if you run out of money and cant find a new home for the fish.

espkh9

i think there are more problems than that. its ok who cares what i think +1 to whatver sep says and mattb doesnt like when i bump my threads..im going on vacation for like 5 years.. i hope you all have fun saving earth. if you wann sell ur cars to me for bicycles to save the earth PM me..lol have a good one.