I would like to add coral but not sure about my lighting...Help.

stubbbs

I have a 5 month old 125 gallon tank filled with 150lbs LR, anemone, 3 crabs, 10 hermit crabs, 40 N. snails, clown, 2 tangs, trigger and dwarf flame angel. I want to start adding some coral. I curretly have two 48 inch lights. one is a coralife 20,000k 40 watt bulb and the the other is a 40 watt actinic. any opinions if i have enough lighting for coral. my emeone has been doing well for 3 months so i was using his health as a gauge for the possible introduction of coral. opinions greatly appreciated.

Originally Posted by stubbbs
http:///forum/post/2486611
I have a 5 month old 125 gallon tank filled with 150lbs LR, anemone, 3 crabs, 10 hermit crabs, 40 N. snails, clown, 2 tangs, trigger and dwarf flame angel. I want to start adding some coral. I curretly have two 48 inch lights. one is a coralife 20,000k 40 watt bulb and the the other is a 40 watt actinic. any opinions if i have enough lighting for coral. my emeone has been doing well for 3 months so i was using his health as a gauge for the possible introduction of coral. opinions greatly appreciated.
correct me if im wrong but don't flame angels "eat" corals

flricordia

You could probably keep mushrooms OK and maybe some zoanthids near the top but as with other important equipment like RO/DI, skimmer, pumps, lighting for corals is one of those items that the dollars you invest = what you get out of it. If you have minimum lighting, you will have minimum corals.
Same with RO/DI water used for water changes and top-off. If you try to cut corners and use tap water or store bought bottled, eventually you WILL
have probelms with water quality.

flricordia

Originally Posted by IuseTableSalt
http:///forum/post/2486633
correct me if im wrong but don't flame angels "eat" corals

Sometimes they will nibble but on the whole, if you keep them fed, they are OK for reef, at least the Flames I have kept. I am sure there can be th exception as with any fish.

dude23455

most all anemones have high lighting requirements. Except for the pest anenome's. Ie aptasia and mojano's.
What type of anemone do you have? I would be worried about it surviving long term before i would worry about any corals.

itom37

What sort of anemone? I'm surprised to hear it's doing well. Conventional wisdom says your lighting is quite low. A general rule is 4 watts per gallon for softies, zoas, and some lps. If you're truly interested in adding corals, I would look into upping the lights. T5's are good lights, but you'll likely need much more.
Also, many dwarf angels pick at corals. The trigger is probably snacking on your inverts, as well.

stubbbs

i have a condi and the trigger is a blue throat. he is a big baby and does not bother any of the inhabitants. the anemone has been doing well for about 4 months and is growing with no loss of color or bleaching. i probably could use an upgrade of lighting but was trying to avoid if what I have will allow some easy, beginner corals. i am not looking to go crazy just add some color and diversity but welcome the opinions and advice...that is how you learn, right?

triggerz92

I wouldn't introduce corals into your system because the flame angel will most likely destroy them. (I have a flame and wish I could add coral too!)

teresaq

check the reef section, many people have flames with thier corals, yes some may pick, but most dont.
i am more concerned about the amount of light you have. 80 wtts of light?? how long and deep is your tank.

stubbbs

the dimensions of the tank are 60 long, 18 wide and 24 inches deep. I have thought about upgrading the lights however the tank is completely enclosed within a wall and modifications might not be as simple as pulling the old light fixture out and adding a new one....it's possible but again - I just wanted some easy beginner corals. I am not going to go crazy but I want to be realistic too. i don't want to buy coral and not have at least the minimum requiremenmts for that species.

wangotango

Since it's a pretty deep tank, I'd look into a 60" T5 retrofit, maybe 6-8 bulbs overdriven on IC ballasts with individual reflectors. Just my recommendation.
-Justin

perfectdark

Originally Posted by stubbbs
http:///forum/post/2486793
i have a condi and the trigger is a blue throat. he is a big baby and does not bother any of the inhabitants. the anemone has been doing well for about 4 months and is growing with no loss of color or bleaching.YET !! give it time it will happen, sorry to say.
i probably could use an upgrade of lighting but was trying to avoid if what I have will allow some easy, beginner corals. i am not looking to go crazy just add some color and diversity but welcome the opinions and advice...that is how you learn, right?

+1 on Wangos advice...

stubbbs

Has anyone ever retro-fitted a light as suggested? Just wondering how easry or hard this is to do??? Appreciate any help.

reefmate75

not hard just cosumes time, you will be slow at doing it at first but when you learn what your doing you ll get faster
the frist time you do it, its going to take you a few days, after you do it the first time the second time will come faster
if your going to buy a ice cap ballasts they give you a diagram of how the wires are to be ran, they are the only ballasts i have that arnt prewired
if your just wanting to start with easy corals i would go with a ice cap 660 with 4 4' bulbs at 110 watts each, and when wiring this up make sure to leave a space between the bulbs because you are going to want to add MH later more then likely for SPS, and LPS
put 2 close leave 6-8" between and then the other 2 VHOs and youll be able to do softies and some LPS but not all of them

stubbbs

After looking into a retrofit...It looks like it would more time involved than I have but wondered if anyone has an opinion on this lighting setup for what I am trying to do:
Outer Orbit HQI/Compact Fluorescent/Lunar Fixture
* Combination high output Metal Halide aquarium light fixture
* Internal electronic ballast eliminates aquarium equipment clutter
* Features more lunar lights for better nocturnal aquarium viewing
Microprocessor controlled internal electronic ballast means no bulky remote ballast assemblies. Sleek, self-contained fixture minimizes clutter while providing the combined light output of metal halide and compact fluorescent bulbs. Plus more lunar lights to provide an atmospheric nocturnal viewing environment. Features integrated cooling fans, parabolic reflector, protective splash lens, two timers, two independent on/off switches, and two 72" power cords. Includes docking mounts and hanging bracket (can be set atop canopy or hung from ceiling), appropriate number of 150 watt PowerPaq 10000°K HQI double ended bulb(s) and Dual 460nm/420nm Actinic square pin compact fluorescent bulbs. 15" x 4-1/4" high.
Advice/Opinions Welcomed. Thanks