Icecap Ballast Question

re_vogel

I purchased a used Icecap 250 ballast and a 1 mth old 250 12K bulb. I know both work because they were running on an existing tank while I was in the lfs. I wired it correctly (as far as I can tell) When I plug it in it hums softly but does not fire the bulb. I only left it plugged in for about 5 seconds because I did not want to damage the ballast. Does it gennerally take longer then this to fire the bulb.

mikeu

An electronic ballast should fire right up. Check the bulb in another setup. If it's still ok, then I'd rewire the ballast to make sure it's done right.

siline

Originally Posted by re_vogel
http:///forum/post/2669356
I purchased a used Icecap 250 ballast and a 1 mth old 250 12K bulb. I know both work because they were running on an existing tank while I was in the lfs. I wired it correctly (as far as I can tell) When I plug it in it hums softly but does not fire the bulb. I only left it plugged in for about 5 seconds because I did not want to damage the ballast. Does it gennerally take longer then this to fire the bulb.
Doble check the connections (or if you dont know, have someone do it for you) just in case, and try again. Since you said that it was working, Im not even wondering about the bulb, althrough it may be worn/damaged.
However MH, does NOT fully lights up right away. They may have a delay of a couple of minutes, BUT they should start lightning at least a bit in a couple of secs. If they dont light (at least a bit) in a min or so, the bulb and/or the ballast (including the wires) are having a problem.

hurt

I own 2 IC 250w MH ballasts, and they both hum when they first fire for about a minute. It's completely normal. They also take at least 30 seconds to a minute before the bulbs are completely illuminated. It's not like you turn on the ballast and in one second it is at 100% light, like a fluorescent light would. Just give them a minute.