Icecap experts

sergeant

I need help with a Icecap ballast and some VHO lights.
I recently purchased a kit with 4 super actinic tubes and a timer but I still cant get it to work. Any of you with experience troublshooting this guys? :help:

woolfolkd

I have a Icecap 660 and have had no problems. What is yours doing? Nothing? Did you follow the schematics that came with it? Let me know and I may be able to help.

bang guy

Do any of the bulbs flicker when you turn it on? Did you attach the plug correctly and is it grounded?
If 3 bumbs flicker then there's a bad end-cap connection on the bulb(s) that don't flicker.
If nothing happens check the fuse to make sure it's not broken.

sergeant

I connected it in accordance with the instructions I downloaded from their website.
I tested continuity with my multimeter with two tubes, they both flicker but dont turn on. I tried with three tubes and two of them fllicker, one doesnt.
I tried one tube and it does work.
It is a icecap 430 with an icecap timer. The package had a fourth tube in the box. 3 actinic blues and a white.
I also check the fuse, looks good and it has continuity.
The power connection is grounded.

sergeant

Any other suggestion!!!
Why does it work with one tube but not with two, even though the multimeter reads continuity at the connections? :confused:

woolfolkd

I agree with bang guy you probably have a bad connection in a cap. also check your ground well. Start with the socket set that isnt doing anything and go from there.

bang guy

It's not common, but also check for a bad bulb. If two flicker and one doesn't then it's that circuit. Endcaps, or bulb. I have heard of defective Ballasts but it's not very common.

jimbo449

did they send you the correct ballast. is it a one light ballast. I would check with the company you bought it from and make sure it's the proper ballast:confused:

sergeant

I bought it from a member of this board. It was working in his house before he sold it to me. The ballast itself says the model 430-008 and it has a label with a diagram of the two bulb setup.
The wire harness is brand new and two of the end caps are also new. I know that the timer was discontinued from the company but it still works just fine.
There are three main colors on the wire harness, red, blue and yellow. If I connect the red in one end of the light and the blue in the other end it works with one bulb.:yes:
But if I follow the diagram and connect red or blue in one end of the light and yellow in the other end it just flickers but it doesnt work. :nope:
I am wondering if it is a bad ballast or if I an doing something wrong.:notsure:

reefraff

You say one lamp will light so set it up in one lamp configuration and try each lamp in that position. Now you know the problem isn't a bad lamp(if they each light of course. Next try 2 lamp configuration. If both lamps flash and don't light I will guess a ballast problem. Usually Ice Caps will not light with lose wiring or bad end cap as Bang mentioned earlier. Usually you can troubleshoot the problem by watching what the lamps do when you turn it on. If all but one of the lamps flash or flicker you need to check the lamp that didn't flash or flicker as well as it's wiring and end caps. IC Ballasts are a little touchy about arcing.
If it doesn't work Ice Cap will repair it. You can get info from their website.
I am assuming you are installing a jumper between the two endcaps when using the yellow wire.

sergeant

I did added the jumper using the yellow wires.
Only with the red and blue wires the lights work, but only one tube. I also tried connecting it with two bulbs using the red and blue wires and jumping the other end but it didnt work either.
I tested all the tubes and all of them are good.
I guess my last option is sending it in for repair.
Hopefully is still under their 3 year warranty.
Thank you all for your help.
Tito