Ich, Brooklynella or lymphocystis diff

G

gsxr1100

Hi,
Can someone (beth, others) please tell me the diff between the above items (Ich, Brooklynella or lymphocystis ).
Based on all the pix on the "Diseased Fish " thread, they all look the same (somewhat). Is there something that sticks out in each one? ie. breathing, color, lack of eating, motionless etc etc.
I got 4 clowns (Percula) from here and one is sick (white spots). So there are in hypo (1.009 SG) in my QT. I want to make sure I am doing the corrective means of helping. These are the last additions to my reef (few years old) and I want to make sure all 4 make it. 3 look fine, but one does not look good.
Thank you

beth

Administrator
Staff member
That sounds like ich but:
Ich looks like the fish has been salted with salt.
Brooklynella, looks like the fish is pealing.
Lymphocyctis looks like the fish has whitish tumors or growths doting its body. Usually irregular shaped, not completely round like ich is.

G

gsxr1100

thanks beth.
after 7 days of hypo I would have thought the white spots would go away, but nope. His color is losing a little (top fin, forget name) but he is eating a little. I feed twice a day. Once with garlic and the other feeding with zoecon.
I hope he makes it. He has 3 white large spots near his mouth. Looks larger then salt thougt. Almost like lymphocyctis.
This is my first time with hypo and so far the 1.009 SG is easy and I expected the PH to drop alot; but did not go below 8.0.

unleashed

doesnt sound like ich to me but without a photo its hard to judge but being a new fish in a new enviroment its very possible to have more than one problem at a time.i would add some melafix to his water to help reduce the stress also if this is a fungal or bacterial infection this will help take care of the problem.personally I stopped using hypo 4 yrs ago when i had my first death during the prosess.

G

gsxr1100

I found out he had Brooklynella..He died today..
Now the problem is the other 3 clown in QT look fine. I know I should leave them there but do I do the formaldehyde on the other 3 that always look fine?
they all have been together for 2 weeks. The other 3 look fine..
Any help to what to do now?
I do not want to do dips if I do not need to or making things worse.