ich dilema

flamehawk

I've been fighting ich in my 125g w/ L/r and L/S for several months. The latest (Today) is that my Royal G got ich after being in the tank for just 3 1/2 days. This is after the tank was once again fishless for 6 weeks! Good thing I didn't test the tank w/ my scribble and Goldflake angels. They are safe in seperate tanks.
How can an ich strain be so resistant? What should I do next? I'm at my witts end and am close to given this all up......again!! Help.....

bang guy

Where was the Royal G before you placed it in the tank? If it was fishless for 6 weeks then the Ick came from the fish, not from the tank.

bang guy

Originally Posted by flamehawk
The RG was Q'd for 6 weeks with no outbreak. Never hypo'd because showed no signs of ich.
If you hypo the fish then the Ick will be gone. You just moved the Ick from the QT back to the tank.

flamehawk

perhaps I didn't explain properly. The RG was a new purchase. As a new purchase he was Q'd for 6 weeks with no signs of illness. After Q, he was acclimated properly and put into display which was fishless for 6 weeks. I'm perplexed.thx.

S

shark bait

One idea is to get a vortex xl filter and run it 3-4 hours a day while the tank has no fish. Change the filter and add the fish and keep using it until you don't have ich. Ever thought it might just be stress and not ick. You might want to check the fish line up. Just a though that some major retail shops use for hard fish that they dont hypo or copper to death.

bang guy

Originally Posted by flamehawk
perhaps I didn't explain properly. The RG was a new purchase. As a new purchase he was Q'd for 6 weeks with no signs of illness. After Q, he was acclimated properly and put into display which was fishless for 6 weeks. I'm perplexed.thx.
I understood. The RG had Ick even if it wasn't visible. A hyposalinity treatment would have killed the Ick. Placing the RG in the tank means that Ick is probably now in the tank. If you do nothing the RG will most likely fight off the infection and you'll never see it get Ick again. There's a small chance that the RG is too stressed to fight off the infection. If it hets worse or doesn't go away in a few days I'd recommend a hypo treatment in a seperate hospital tank.

aquapro_1

I always preach that every tank should have a scarlet shrimp. They eat the parasites & keep the fish clean. Clean means happy & happy leads to healthy fish. I have an aggressive tank & they line up. Been ich free a month shy of 3 yrs!! They are not expensive if you think of the time & effort & in your case, lose of fish (cost to replace.) Give it a month for the shrimp to eat the parasites. If you got room. I suggest you get 3. They will set up a cleaning station & immediately go to work.

flamehawk

I've got 3 cleaner shrimp in my display for many months..also a UV and feed all fish w/ garlic and selcon. I still get ich. Now you know why I'm so frustrated. I noticed that some fish( percs and RG) will not allow themselves to be cleaned. While Tang and angels seem to enjoy it.
WE'll I'm trying again. All fish will be hypo'd (again) and tank left fishless for 8 weeks....again......