Ich-fighting Garlic Live Brine Shrimp Recipe

I thought I'd post this, since I've seen a lot of ich questions and I've found this recipe useful.
Years ago, I struggled with hypo-salinity, quarantining, invert-killing chemicals, etc. to treat ich... usually, these approaches were unsuccessful. Fortunately, a freind suggested garlic-soakes food. This has worked like a charm. Unfortunately, many fish cannot get to the food before the garlic is soaked out, or their tankmates have eaten it. This is an especially bad problem when a fish is sick with ich or other parasites. Thus, I've experimented with the following solution:
Garlic-Infused Live Brine Shrimp:
-Take some live brine shrimp and rinse them out with freshwater (You'll allways want to do this, as Brinies often carry parasites).
-Disgard the old freshwater and place the brinies a a small amount of new freshwater (i.e. 1 OZ of brine shrimp to a few teaspoons of water).
-Add a healthy portion of water-soluble garlic extract in with the shrimp (I'm not a scientist, so I don't know how much I add... usually about 1/6 the water volume)
-Let the shrimp soak in their freshwater-garlic solution for a while (I've let them sit for over 1/2 hr. with no apparent ill effects... don't know how long they'll last?)
-Feed the shrimp to your fish in small increments (i.e. ensure that your fish eat the shrimp, before they've shed the garlic)
-Watch the ich fall off and stay off
I usually feed my fish this recipe whenever I add a new fish to one of my tanks, or whenever there's been a major disruption (i.e. power outage)
Hope this helps

jimi

I would just like to put my two cents in. Garlic has had good reports for MINOR infections of ich, but in no way can be compared or substituted for proven methods such as hyposalinity, quarantine, or invert killing chemicals(copper).

E

elan

has anyone else tried this treatment?
has anyone used fresh garlic that has been minced? or just regular garlic extract from the supermarket?

S

sebae0

at first i used a freah garlic and minced it myself, worked good, but then i found minced garlic already in the there own juices, alot easier. had a pretty good outbreak of ich after a 2 day power outage and dosed the garlic for a week straight in their food.......
needless to say the ich has not been seen and everything is well.
hth