ich help please

mr.bled

I just noticed today that my clown has ich and i was going to qt it and my invert in seperate qt's. when my sis walks in the door and says merry christmas to me with two bags. a heteractis magnifica and a blue mushroom. my question is if i should put them in my tank and let them wait out the ich problem and will that hurt them or should i put them in a rubber maid with pc lighting.

fedukeford

Put the coral in the tank, the only thing that ich can cling onto is fish, so dont bothering QT'ing your inverts

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, ich is strictly a fish disease, though it can be introduced into a tank on rocks, shelled inverts, etc.
In this case hyposalinity would be the best course of treatment. Is your QT cycled? Take a look at the info on ich and hyposalinity in the FAQ Thread at the top of this forum.

old_salt

Beth said:
Yes, ich is strictly a fish disease, though it can be introduced into a tank on rocks, shelled inverts, etc.
While on this subject, does this apply Anemones alss? If yes, how can they be made safe to move into another tank? I have some mushrooms, an anemone and Xenia in a 46 gallon tank that had several fish die from unknown reasons and I would like to move them (and surviving fish) to my new 125 gallon reef tank. There are only 3 fish, 2 firetail gobies and 1 sixline remaining in this tank. There is also a bristle star fish, a cleaner shrimp (with nothing to clean), a dozen snails and a dozen hermit crabs. How long should I wait?

sepulatian

Originally Posted by mr.bled
no, my qt is not cycled its a 10g
Do you have an aquarium sponge? You can place one into your sump for a few days to gather bacteria and then place it into the qt to lessen the cycle time.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Old Salt, it applies to hard surfaces, such as invert shells, LR, corals mounted on rocks, etc. One stage of the parasite involves residing on hard surfaces. So, while a snail can not have ich, it can conceivably carry ich.
The easiest way to avoid contamination is to be sure you know where your livestock came from. If a soft coral mounted on rocks is sharing a tank or filters with fish, then that coral's mount rock is suspect. Alternatively, you could QT everything....however, this is sometimes not practical for most hobbyists. Especially attempting to QT corals that require high intensity lighting. Unless, of course, you can equip a QT with expensive lighting.

old_salt

Originally Posted by Beth
Old Salt, it applies to hard surfaces, such as invert shells, LR, corals mounted on rocks, etc. One stage of the parasite involves residing on hard surfaces. So, while a snail can not have ich, it can conceivably carry ich.
The easiest way to avoid contamination is to be sure you know where your livestock came from. If a soft coral mounted on rocks is sharing a tank or filters with fish, then that coral's mount rock is suspect. Alternatively, you could QT everything....however, this is sometimes not practical for most hobbyists. Especially attempting to QT corals that require high intensity lighting. Unless, of course, you can equip a QT with expensive lighting.
So far all of my fish come from 4 places, 3 LFS's and SWF.com. I am waiting for my 125 gallon to finish cycling so I can start moving the fish I currently have in a 29 gallon (which is soon to become my QT instead of the 12 gallon nano that I'm using now). The problem is I have several fish (2 fire gobies and a sixline wrasse) in a 46 gallon that I would also like to move so I can tear this tank down and start it over (had the plague hit this tank and lost all my fish except for the 3 mentioned above). I'm afraid to put any new fish in it until I can remove all the contents and thoroughly clean the tank and replace the live sand. I'm just trying to determine if it is ever going to be safe to use the live rock again and whether or not I'll be able to move the remaining fish into my main tank. Should I move them back into a quarantine tank until I can get this one scrubbed?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
You don't have to toss live rock at all, since, in the absense of fish, all ich will die off within 3 weeks. As for sand, if you have a DSB, then you should toss it, if not, you can likely reuse most of it.

X

xoxox

Originally Posted by Beth
You don't have to toss live rock at all, since, in the absense of fish, all ich will die off within 3 weeks. As for sand, if you have a DSB, then you should toss it, if not, you can likely reuse most of it.
You know, I might be totally off my rocker but I'd swear that ich has a dormant stage. Maybe just a small few on rock or in sand, waiting for [the right] fish to pass by and then becomes active again.

mygatt

Im with you - I have heard that ich can go into a dormant stage for up to 9 months - does anyone know for sure? if possible, I really would like someone to clear this up - If thats the case then starting over again sounds better and better.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by mygatt
Im with you - I have heard that ich can go into a dormant stage for up to 9 months - does anyone know for sure? if possible, I really would like someone to clear this up - If thats the case then starting over again sounds better and better.
Not to my knowledge. Ich can remain dormant for 6 -8 weeks (that I am aware of anyway) 6 weeks is usually the safe mark for leaving a system run fishless.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by mr.bled
well sadly, today im just down to an invert, lr/ls, and some coral.
I am very sorry to hear that.