Ich in the mobile stage

brettd

I had a breakout of Ich and Marine Velvet just before Christmas. I lost all my fish (Clown trigger, Power Blue Tang, Emperor Angel, Flame Angel, Spiny Puffer, Hippo Tang, Banded Butterfly, and another Butterfly) except one Yellow Tang and a Damsel. I've been treating my fish only tank (180) with cupramine at 6 ppm for just over a week. The Tang looks great - color is back and fins have healed up. I've noticed little bug-like creatures on the side of the tank. I'm assuming they are Ich in the swimming stage... They look like little bugs when they dart across the tank for about 1/2 half to 1 inch at a time. Does anyone have any input that these are another breakout of my Ich? It seems a little strange since my copper levels are at 6 ppm.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by BrettD
I had a breakout of Ich and Marine Velvet just before Christmas. I lost all my fish (Clown trigger, Power Blue Tang, Emperor Angel, Flame Angel, Spiny Puffer, Hippo Tang, Banded Butterfly, and another Butterfly) except one Yellow Tang and a Damsel. I've been treating my fish only tank (180) with cupramine at 6 ppm for just over a week. The Tang looks great - color is back and fins have healed up. I've noticed little bug-like creatures on the side of the tank. I'm assuming they are Ich in the swimming stage... They look like little bugs when they dart across the tank for about 1/2 half to 1 inch at a time. Does anyone have any input that these are another breakout of my Ich? It seems a little strange since my copper levels are at 6 ppm.
Ich is not visible on the glass. What else do you have in that tank? Any live rock?

brettd

Originally Posted by sepulatian
Ich is not visible on the glass. What else do you have in that tank? Any live rock?
Yes, about 150 pounds of it.

mygatt

Wow Brett, SO SORRY for your loss - I am dealing with ich right now and it is not pleasant. Do you have any pics of these critters at all? Also you didn't notice any of these things on any of your fish? I had a outbreak a ways back in my seahorse tank of a cycloid isopods -sp?- which are about the size that you are talking about - they are bloodsucking parasites - I lost two seahorses from it. They are clear until they start sucking then they turn a brownish red from you know what. yuck

mygatt

actually i read your post wrong, i thought you said they were 1/2 inch long, but you said they dash about 1/2 inch to a inch at a time. How big are these things? also do you have any pics?

sepulatian

Yes, about 150 pounds of it.
I sure hope you did not add copper to the tank with the rock!

brettd

Originally Posted by mygatt
actually i read your post wrong, i thought you said they were 1/2 inch long, but you said they dash about 1/2 inch to a inch at a time. How big are these things? also do you have any pics?
They are maybe up to a millimeter. I took some pics, but I can't find my memorystick adapter (3 yr old running loose in the house). I'll post them tonight if I find the adapter or tomorrow when I get to work.

brettd

Here is a pic of them. The original image is 2560 X 1920. I don't have the best ability to reduce and lower the resolution at home. I'll try a better image tomorrow.

brettd

Originally Posted by sepulatian
I sure hope you did not add copper to the tank with the rock!
I took about 50% out and put it in a garbage can with a powerhead before I started the copper. I was told that the bacteria in the rock would be fine with the copper treatment. I wasn't sure so that's why I took out about half.

sepulatian

I took about 50% out and put it in a garbage can with a powerhead before I started the copper. I was told that the bacteria in the rock would be fine with the copper treatment. I wasn't sure so that's why I took out about half.

The rock that you have treated with copper is most likely dead. Keep a close eye on your ammonia. You can not kill one invert (ich is an invert) without killing them all (all of the stuff on your rock) I wish you had posted this prior to treating your display with copper. The problem with copper is that it doesn't leave your system. It is absorbed by your rock, sand, and anything else porous in your tank and will leech out later. Copper is fine to use, but never in a display. I am sorry.

tankyou

Here is a pic of them. The original image is 2560 X 1920. I don't have the best ability to reduce and lower the resolution at home. I'll try a better image tomorrow.
Ich tomites are too small to be visible. Looks like pods to me.