ICH on Eels?

erifish3

Can eels host or carry ich? My lion came down with it a couple of weeks ago and my eels still look fine.

R

rcreations

From WWM:
”Ick” better called Cryptocaryon appears as raised salt grain like bumps on the fish. Morays rarely are affected by Cryptocaryon, they have a slightly toxic slime coat and a different blood composition compared to many other fishes. In severe outbreaks they can be affected, however, generally their immune system is strong enough to save them from death without further treatment.

raf

so does this mean that its not as important to QT an eel? what other illnesses are they prone to?

R

rcreations

Also from WWM:
Treatment is unnecessary if you select a healthy, clean specimen and provide a suitable habitat. The usual two to three week quarantine for newcomers is recommended. Stay away from copper compounds and the organophosphate DTHP (masoten, dylox, Dipterex, Neguvon...) containing remedies; these are deadly to true eels. If your specimen(s) seem to be developing a bacterial and/or fungal infection, check water quality, do a massive water change, or remove them to a treatment tank and treat with the antibiotic erythromycin (Maracyn) to reduce overall bacterial levels.
Don't fret too much if your eel goes on a hunger strike. Morays collected in the wild have empty stomachs and can go for long (months) without eating.

Sounds to me like the reason to QT an eel is more to get it accustomed to eating and to observe it. They don't usually get sick or carry any parasites.

skate020

you should still QT the eel incase it carrys a parasite without actually being afftected by it.
could be a fluke where a parasite withstands the toxic slime on the eel, hint why they say, rarely, not never.