Ich? Or what?

geridoc

This is a relatively new addition, a Barbonius anthias, and he is showing raised pimples over his eye, and a smaller one further back on the lateral line. He is eating well, and is active. Tank parameters:
40 gallon breeder with 20 gal sump, live rock
Assorted corals, inverts and 1 orchid dottyback (no marks on it)
Nitrates, nitrites and ammonium undetectable
pH 8.4
s.g.=1.-25
temp=79 degrees
Ca= 350 using Salifert (I know, I'm trying to raise it)
alk=10
The pimples are raised and seem to be on the lateral and anterior sensory lines, so I don't really know what I'm dealing with. I'm hoping lymphocystis, since that will save my removing this guy to the hospital tank.

meowzer

hard to tell, but raised cottony growths sound more like lympho.....I have seen that and ich, and IMO they look very different (if you have seen both of course)
Have you read about lympho in the disease section? Get some good foods and vitamins, and keep your eater pristine and (if lympho) you should be okay
if it is ich, I think you will see more salt like specs popping up

geridoc

My experience with ich is that the salt-like spots are small and not well raised above the skin. These really look like whiteheads - a well defined round white pimple, not really cottony at all. Also, my experience with ich is that the salt-like markings appear fairly uniformly distributed on the body and fins. These are confined to the lateral line pores and a line of pores across the fish's forehead. The spots over the eye are in a straight line on the pore line. I guess I'll wait and see. Meanwhile, I'm preparing the hospital tank for a new inhabitant.

geridoc

This is an update now that I am three weeks into this situation. More small white dots have cropped up on the other side of the fish exactly on the pore line. Meanwhile the original spots have receded, and are leaving behind faded areas. Now I'm thinking this is HLLE. I am now on a cycle of changing 5 gallons/day every day, feeding mysis and frozen brine (in vast quantities, btw; this guy eats like there's no tomorrow). I will begin soaking the food in VitaChem and Selcon as soon as I get to the store to pick some up.