Ich Resistant Fish

lpd154

I have been looking all over the internet for a listing of ich resistant fish, but so far no luck. I am hoping someone here on the forum can provide some sort of comprehensive list of fish that are the least likely to develope ich. In all of my searching I have only been able to come up with maybe one of two fish that is generally said to be immune to ich. Thanks in advance to all of those who can help me with this.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Ich is a parasite that, like any parasite, can effect any fish. The only fish that I am aware that can resist ich fairly well is the mandarin goby. To a lesser extent, the six line wrasse.
The best prevent for ich is to set up a quarantine tank, and use it appropriately for all incoming fish.

lpd154

Thanks, Beth. We experience have you had with lawnmower bleenies. Are they really prone to developing ich?

al mc

Originally Posted by lpd154
http:///forum/post/3240201
Thanks, Beth. We experience have you had with lawnmower bleenies. Are they really prone to developing ich?
Not beth here...but in my experience they are at same risk as most other fish. Tangs have been referred to as 'Ich magnets' by many people. IMHO they are no more susceptible to Ich than other fish....we just tend to put these open water swimmers in small tanks which stresses them out leading to a weakened immune system/ability to ward off the parasite.

noah's nemo

Just curious,why are you so concerned about getting ich proof fish( no such thing)....Just take proper QT and treatment measures and it will not be an issue.

S

saxman

any fish that can shed their cuticle, such as scorpionfish (which includes lionfish, waspfish, stingfish, etc.), foxfaces and rabbitfish fall into this category as well. also, any fish with a heavy slime coat such as morays and dragonettes are also resistant.
that being said, scorps can still get ******...we're currently running a 65 gal hypo tank for our well-established (3 years + ) adult P. volitans, so yes, QT is important, but it's no guarantee your fish will never contract ******.
it's also super important that your DT remain fallow (fishless) for 6 weeks folowing an outbreak, or the cycle will perpetuate.

gabe223

Hello,
Most wrasse, such as yellow wrasse or leopard wrasse in general are immune to ich. They have a immune layer of skin that protects them from ich because they borrow into sand when sleep or resting.
Most seahorses are also immune to ich. I've had my seahorse for a year, never saw ich or parasite on it while other fishes dies off left and right because of ich.

S

saxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabe223 http:///t/374686/ich-resistant-fish#post_3465190
Hello,
Most wrasse, such as yellow wrasse or leopard wrasse in general are immune to ich. They have a immune layer of skin that protects them from ich because they borrow into sand when sleep or resting.
Most seahorses are also immune to ich. I've had my seahorse for a year, never saw ich or parasite on it while other fishes dies off left and right because of ich.
Not IMMUNE...RESISTANT. Scorpaeniformes have a cuticle that they shed periodically, and they can still get ****** as well. I've seen both wrasses and SH with ****** as well as lions and scorps:

Just clarifying...