ich spot source

srfisher17

I'm sure that I've seen more than one reference to the white spot that is seen on fish with marine ich NOT being the actual parasite; but scar tissue. The actual parasite is buried deeper in the fish. I just can't find the source for this statement and even posted it in a reply elsewhere on this forum. Can someone help me out, or am I just losing it? (No S.A. replies please; I get those everyday from my kids.)
EDIT: I found this on Beth's great thread, I must have missed it the 1st time, it pretty much answers my question, but I still think the parasite is deeper in the fish, detached from the white spot.
What the hobbyist is actually seeing with these white dots is a protective covering, or cyst, which the parasite creates over itself as a means of protection.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Originally Posted by srfisher17
http:///forum/post/3170886
EDIT: I found this on Beth's great thread, I must have missed it the 1st time, it pretty much answers my question, but I still think the parasite is deeper in the fish, detached from the white spot.
What the hobbyist is actually seeing with these white dots is a protective covering, or cyst, which the parasite creates over itself as a means of protection.
Yes, that is it. As the parasite feeds off of fish tissues, this cyst gets larger. Eventually it will fall off, and the parasite will continue on through its very short life cycle.
Presumably the protective encasing evolved as the parasite's defensive shield against biological cleaners, such as the cleaner wrasse, or against mechanical dislodgement when the infected host attempts to relieve itch by scratching on rocks.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by Beth
http:///forum/post/3171149
Yes, that is it. As the parasite feeds off of fish tissues, this cyst gets larger. Eventually it will fall off, and the parasite will continue on through its very short life cycle.
Presumably the protective encasing evolved as the parasite's defensive shield against biological cleaners, such as the cleaner wrasse, or against mechanical dislodgement when the infected host attempts to relieve itch by scratching on rocks.
Thanks, that makes sense. Now if you can stop this aging thing I'm going through.....

reefjunkiee

Originally Posted by srfisher17
http:///forum/post/3171396
Thanks, that makes sense. Now if you can stop this aging thing I'm going through.....
there is only one cure i know of that is effective. place loaded gun in mouth pointed upwards then pull trigger. lol JK i feel your pain though.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Aging? Money and a good plastic surgeon is the only thing I know of. Unfortunately, I have neither.

I still look the same as I did 10yrs ago! oh crap, well I do have grey hair in the stash! LOL They do have a treatment for that..LOL
I do have a quesiton that just came to mind though!
Since I have mostly sand with little substrate will the copper treatment I am doing now kill off that parasite in the sand?
Once it has fallen off the fish!
I am going to buy a QT tank tomorrow but I fear it's way to late! My fault! Would it be a good idea to put these two in the QT tank during the treatment or is it just entirely to late?