Ich still lives past 8 weeks

jc78240

Well, My main tank got Ich around January. Pulled all fish except my sting ray, crabs, and snails into a quarantine did treatment on them with hypo for 4 weeks after the last spot disappeared, plus another 4weeks of hypo on the safe side. Then kept them in quarantine for about another 8 more weeks. Put them into my main tank and then 4-5 days later I see Ich developing on the fish. So, Either ich can live longer without a host then previously thought, or the sting ray, crabs, or snails can act like a carrier. So, now I am moving my sting ray , crabs out of main tank and leave all other fish there and will treat the main tank with hypo. Obviously Hypo works, but I don't understand how the ich survived in my main tank for about 4 months without a host?

jpa0741

Well that scares me a little, as I am in the process of trying to clear my tank of ich. Which my be pointless. Anybody else have any comments why this may be. I thought this was the way to do it.
Jeff

symon

I am with you folks on this, it concerns me that it lived past 8 weeks! How do you fight something that you can even test for until you put your fish in!
I have noticed the only time i see the ick is with my achilles tang, Beautiful fish but just has to go!

beth

Administrator
Staff member
And what are you using to do hyposalinity? Can you tell us how you did the hypo?

newb2salt

Hey Lion I have started my hypo as you suggested and... the ich seems to mostly be gone :joy: but I still see a spot or 2 on my hippo which is the fish it started with I'm going to continue the hypo for as long as it takes, as it doesn't seem to be affecting the fish at all. If anything the fish eat a little more voraciously. I sure would like to see the spots gone on her though. Thanks for your continued support on this site!!!!!

jc78240

So In January I placed my fish in a 50gallon quarantine tank. Hyposalin treatment with a refractometer ( calibrated) brought it down to 1.008 specific gravity, a .001 lower than the recommended 1.009 (14ppt). Meanwhile the main tank had the same snails, crabs, and stingray at 1.023. I was upset because main tank was boring and quarantine tank in a bathroom. Anyway, spots disappeared (clown, 2 semilarvatus, my poor spotted blue jaw didn't make it through the ich epidemic, died 3 days into quarantine) Anyway spots went away, kept hypo for 4weeks after spots disappeared plus another 4 weeks. Raised the salinity up to 1.023. Kept them in quarantine another 8 weeks to be on the safe side, no signs of ich. May comes along, time to put them in main tank this past saturday. Happy to have my fish back in the main tank. Then Tuesday two spots on the fins of the semilarvatus, yesterday more spots on the fins. Fish still eating no scratching. So, anyway sad enough some how there is still ich in the main aquarium and none in the quarantine tank. So, again brings up the question either a stingray fish can be a carrier ( I believe i only read hypothesis of skin is to thick, or ich dont like their taste, who knows)or 2. crabs, snails can carry ich or 3. ich can live longer than we think without any host. But at least one thing I do believe now. That it is possible to have an ich free aquarium, because the quarantine tank was ich free thanks to hyposalin.
I believe the stingray fish can carry ick, but not sure any symptoms of the disease. Which means if I ever want to get rid of the ich I probably have to ditch my stingray, since there is not treatment for the stingray. Anyway back to the question any thoughts?
P.S. Beth I want to thank you for your advice and help on the board, including your patience.