ich/temp question

chadman

i posted this in the reef tank forum but felt i may also be able to get some feedback in this forum...thanks
we are fighting a battle with temperature in our tank...today i checked the lights when there was only one hour left till they shut off....the temp was 88 degrees!!!!! tommorow we are going to get some fans to try to blow some of that heat which the mh's are throwing...during the first few hours of the day all the fish look fine and healthy..8 or so hours into having the lights on my kole tang gets all spotted up looks almost liek ich...today i noticed that this happened to my clown too...then the next morning the tang is fine with no spots...coudl temp fluctuations cause these spots which look exactly like ich?? and if so what shoudl i do other than get a chiller?? should i crank my heater up to 86 in order to keep a more constant temperature?

sepulatian

Originally Posted by chadman
i posted this in the reef tank forum but felt i may also be able to get some feedback in this forum...thanks
we are fighting a battle with temperature in our tank...today i checked the lights when there was only one hour left till they shut off....the temp was 88 degrees!!!!! tommorow we are going to get some fans to try to blow some of that heat which the mh's are throwing...during the first few hours of the day all the fish look fine and healthy..8 or so hours into having the lights on my kole tang gets all spotted up looks almost liek ich...today i noticed that this happened to my clown too...then the next morning the tang is fine with no spots...coudl temp fluctuations cause these spots which look exactly like ich?? and if so what shoudl i do other than get a chiller?? should i crank my heater up to 86 in order to keep a more constant temperature?
You have ich in your system and that needs to be removed. They (ich) are more active in higher temps which is why that is when you are seeing them. What sized tank do you have? How much LR and LS do you have?

chadman

no i don't have a qt tank...today i removed carbon from filter and started dosing with an ich product....

sepulatian

ich attack is the product...made by aquaherbals...its 100% organic and reef safe...
That product does not kill ich. It knocks the ich off of the fish. The ich will still be alive and well. Ich is an invertebrate. You cannot kill one invert without killing ALL inverts (your corals, snails, crabs, shrimp, ect.) "Reef safe" products are usually pepper based and irritate the fishes skin which makes them produce a thicker slime coat. This is supposed to stop ich from attatching. The problem with the theory is that not all fish are equally sensitive. Some, not all, ich will still be able to attatch. The life cycle will continue. There are only two methods proven to actually kill ich. They are copper and hyposalinity. Many kinds of fish are sensitive to copper. Hyposalinity is the preferred method. At this point you may want to post in disease and treatment so that you can get the proper help for this. I am always over there, as well as some other wonderfull people. We can also show you the FAQ threads where you can find more info.

sepulatian

alright thanks...i just reposted it in the other forum...
Ok, I will proceed in the other forum.