Ick on Yellow Tang

bostonpro

I have a 55 gallon with 2 clowns, 3 damsels, a yellow tang, live rock, and a cleaner shrimp. The tang has had ick for about 3 weeks now (since I got him). I've been feeding him Formula Two frozen food with some garlic added to it. I've been hoping he will get ride of it by him self, but so far no luck.
I'm setting up a 20 gallon reef. From what I've read on this board, hyposalinity is the best way to get rid of the ick. So.. should I move the live rock and shrimp over to the 20 gallon and drop the salinity on the 55 gallon?

elfdoctors

Originally posted by bostonPro
I'm setting up a 20 gallon reef. From what I've read on this board, hyposalinity is the best way to get rid of the ick. So.. should I move the live rock and shrimp over to the 20 gallon and drop the salinity on the 55 gallon?

Unless the fish are very small, there is a risk of overstocking your 20 gallon tank. Dropping the salinity in the 55 gallon will take a lot more water changes but would probably be safer.
The live rock and shrimp should do fine in a 20 gallon for a while.

beth

Administrator
Staff member

Originally posted by bostonPro
Yeah, I was going to put the live rock and shrimp in the 20 gallon and keep the fish in the 55.

That is the way to go. If you haven't already, check out the FAQ Thread and the info there on ich and hyposalinity. If you need more info, just post.
Welcome to the forums! :D

bostonpro

Thanks for the reply. Are you sure that dropping the SG down to 1.009 won't stress the fish or anything. Just seems a little extreme.

sandflea

how about this? you can net the fish and put it in a 1-2 gallon container w/ 1qt of the aquarium water ( make sure the container has the same temp and ph of the display). leave the fish in for 3-10 minutes and youre done! a lot less work than dropping the sg of 55 gal of water huh?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
boston, what do you use to measure salinity? Fish are not stressed by hyposalinity if the procedure as outlined in the FAQ Thread is followed.
sandflea, I am not understanding the point to that comment? :confused:

bostonpro

I just got a refractometer I ordered from this site, so I'll be using that to measure the salinity. Another question I have is how do I calibrate it? I thought I read on the FAQ post that it has to be calibrated at 68 degrees. The problem I have is that no room in my house is 68 degrees.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Take a look at the instructions that came with yours...it should detail the procedure. Be sure to use DI water for calibrations.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
lionfish, you are not the "tang police" and you don't need to go all over the forums making that comment. :rolleyes: