Ick or water conditions?

scotts2002

I have a 140 gallon tank with a 20 gallon refugium.
The animals are as follows:
Emperor Angel(juv), Yellow tang, Red Sea Sailfin tang, Longnose Hawkfish, Six line wrasse, 2 Percula clownfish, 2 Cardinal fish, Lawnmower blenny, Shrimp goby, 2 Brittle starfish, and 2 urchins.
The Emperor has not been looking 100% for about the last 2-3 weeks. It looks as if it could have Ick, little white spots (discoloration ?) but they don't look like salt was sprinkled on it. Occasionally, it will brush against a rock but it's not consumed with having to this. It likes to swim in the current of the powerhead or one of the filter outputs. It has a great appetite - eats anything put into the tank. I've had it for 1.5 years.
Now to my question; Does this sound like Ick or does it sound like a water quality problem? All of the levels are where they should be nitrate is almost at 0. Two weeks ago I did a water change of 1/3 the water - it seemed to improve slightly but not totally.
There isn't one other fish that has a symptom of anything.
Is it possible for only one fish to get Ick in tank? I didn't think it was. :notsure:
Thanks

boalgf

If you've had it that long, it could just be going through it's color change. I have an emp angel that is almost through it's change to adulthood. The blotchy look is normal for that.
Other than that, it could be dietary. Emp Angels need a diverse mix of food. What are you feeding him? I soak his food in zoe often to give him additional nutrients. Also, adding sponge to his diet helps improve colors.

boalgf

Well, if it doesn't look like tiny speckles of white dots and looks more like discoloration and fading all over, I wouldn't agree with it being ich. A pic would make all the difference. =)

payne66801

I have ich on my fish as we speak and my fish showd a spot or two and they started doing the rubbing and within a couple days it tripled so get a pic and get them treated quick...

scubadoo

Rubbing and swimming in water current/powerhead flows is often a sign of ich.
The areas you are describing sound like "fright spots" on your angel. THis is often casued by stress, poor water quality or disease. Could be a combination of all three in your case.

boalgf

I definitely agree it could be ich, but don't limit yourself to thinking that it is positively ich until you know for sure. Many people on this forum blame ich for everything too easily without looking at the big picture.