ID and advice if available

rwhite

Well, after inspecting the tank this evening we found what I think is a molt from crab that I didnt know we had. Could just be dead, but I havent figured a wat to get it out as it is in a cave that I dont think I can reach into. Thats why the pic is so bad, had to use a flashlight to get it somewhat into focus.
Anyway, from what I see, it has some nasty claws with black tips. The legs appear to be "hairy". Cant see the top of the body because its upside down.
My guess is Gorilla.
Should I be concerned? Any advice about the ID is appreciated. Heres the pic, hope it helps.

rwhite

No idea. Hoping someone can give me a good ID, its just weird that if it is a molt, how could we not have seen it until now? By the size of it, maybe about the size of a quarter, I'd say its been there for a little while. We had a Sally for a while, but one day it just disappeared. Could this be the culprit? We havent added anything new for at least a month, probably more. I was just guessing at Gorilla, as I have never seen one before.

alison

Hi, sorry don't know what it is, but I had 2 of them that came in on my live rock in the beginning when I started. Mine died too, and they ate fresh seafood, so YES very bad. Mine got big too, and totally nocturnal. Ate 2 of my pom pom crabs, a emerald crab, and some others, before I noticed them. They like to hold up in caves, and crevaces. Put a piece of krill on a shishkabob skew,and wave it in front of the openings of caves, at night and you'll be AMAZED what comes out of the woodwork. I think your crab is dead not molted, from the view I get. Good luck, sorry I can't ID him.-ali

bang guy

Pull out the molt & see if Bristle Worms fall out. I doubt that will happen, but if so then the crab may have already died. Most likely it's just a carapace. You need to catch that crab before it gets big & starts killing your animals.
Take a tall drinking glass with smooth walls. Set it leaning against a rock. Rubberband a small chunk of seafood to reef rubble and drop it in the glass. Hopefully the crab will go into the glass to get the food and won't be able to crawl back out.

rwhite

Well, the body has been found by the crew, so its just pcs now. As far as the trap, I'm sure my shrimp will also go for the food, possibly the brittle, as well as others. Will the shrimp be able to get out? Or will I have to keep an eye out so that none of my other inhabitants are trapped for too long of a period.

bang guy

I had to do it for a week. It's worth the effort. They are bad news.
You can wrap it in so much rock that the shrimp can't actually get to it. The Crab just has to smell it, not actually eat it. Bury it in the bottom of the glass if you'd like.

alison

:happyfish Hi, ya bang is totally right. That trap works great, and shrimp can easily swim out, it just gets the crabs, and some brissle worms, but mainly crabs. Good luck huntin.
-ali