ID creature/bug

chiquita o

The other day when my lights turned on, I noticed that my orange dot goby was missing an eye. On closer inspection, I saw there was a bulge over his eye the same color as his body (clearish greyish white). While I was trying to figure out what was wrong with the goby, this creature jumped off his eye and ran away. I reached to grab a net to catch him quick, but it was too late. This bug was about a 1/4" long. It seemed to have legs. Looked similar to like a potato bug found outside in a garden. It was oval shaped and appeared to have a soft oval shell. Whole body was greyish white. Same color as goby. It appeared to be feeding off of his eye. No eye problems before this incident. Goby still acts normally, other than missing one eye. I tried to trap this creature, but so far I have caught each of my shrimp about 15 times each. Got tired of releasing the shrimp and removed the trap. Haven't seen the creature since and everything appears to be fine other than the missing eye and flesh from the goby where the bug was sitting. Please help me ID it so I know whether I need to go to extremes to catch this rascal or just let it be. I would be able to ID it if I saw it in a picture if there are any good websites with pictures of inidentified creatures
Thanks!!

dogstar

Sounds like Amphipod, They are fine to have. You can check the hitchicker thread in New Hobbiest Forum under crustations.

chiquita o

Since I have had LR for 6 months or so and have never had an issue with this flesh eating bug, I came to the conclusion (after my initial freak out episode) that this creature was most likely feeding on bacteria off of a wound on my fish...... however, could it be possible that it was feeding on previously healthy tissue which caused this hole in my goby's head/eye? Before that morning there was nothing wrong with his eye. I still expect to discover him dead every morning from this unexplained missing eye, but so far he has been a trooper and seems relatively unaffected, other than only eating what goes directly in front of his face probably because he can't see anything else.
On a side note.... can I put a yellow headed goby in with my one eyed orange dot goby? Though my orange dot does accept brine shrimp and pellets, he does not touch my sand. If they are compatible, should a wait to let my orange dot re-establish himself before I add another goby?