ID help please

broomer5

Since I upgraded my lighting - I've noticed a fantastic growth rate of whatever this is.
It appears as polyps, but also looks like small flower like leaves.
I've searched the internet hoping to find out what this hitchhiker is.
I'd appreciate any help you all could give me :)
This pic is with flash.
The next pic is just a single daylight VHO lamp.
Anyone :confused:

broomer5

Unfortunately Sammy - that's about as close as I can get with my Kodak.
They do close up at night - so I'll try again tonight.
The odd thing is they don't appear to have a mat like my star polyps do.
There's sort of a matting underneath - but more like little rootlike runners all tangled together.
I'll see what I can get on camera when they close.
Thanks guys

With a root like runner mat and the look of a star polyp I would hazzard a guess and say they are "Daisy Polyps"
SiF
PS most places will list them as Clavularia viridis but you might also try Pachyclavularia sp

broomer5

Well guys
SiF ... I did a search on Clavularia and that sure looks like what it is.
Sammy the roots are not really roots - more like a twisted mass of small hair like runners - that seem to attach to the rock every so often. Like little nodes or something.
Guess the additional lighting has kicked in their zooxanthellae .... cause these things are growing like crazy.
I read where you can propagate them by making cuttings and gluing the "mat-hairs" or whatever to some rock.
Wonder how they would do in the fuge. I'm going to have to cut them back eventually I'm afraid.
Thanks for the help guys, and yeah saltywashington, they do look pretty cool - for a freebie :)

Broomer5... propagating them is just as easy as it sounds...simply cut peel and glue :)
As for moving them to the fuge...I moved some to mine under 26 watts of PC light and they shrank and disappeared. Provided it was well lit I think they would do just fine (provided they are Daisy polyps that is ;) )
SiF

broomer5

Hmmmm - now ya got me think'n.
I've got 72 watts of actinic and daylight PC running over the fuge right now. The lamps are at least a year old if not more, but I don't want to spend too much on new bulbs.
Maybe I'll give it a try and see how they do. Better than tossing them in the trash ;)
Mystery solved - thanks again !