ID needed Goniopora?

toonascott

Need help getting a positive id on this. It was at my LFS for months and I looked online to find out more about it before I bought it. I think it is a goniopora, but the more I find or read on net, the more confused I am. Some say you need really bright lights for this coral, some say you need shade, some say you feed it , some say you don't. HELP!
For now I am simply treating the coral the same way they did at the LFS. Moderate water flow, and lots of light.I inspected it very carefully and it has 0 damage and I have not touched it with my bare hands. It expanded larger in my tank than it appeared at LFS and it was touching my montipora for a day or so. I hope neither one of them was hurt by that.

dogstar

I think its Goniopora columna Most dont last long no matter what you do, just not a hardy species for captivity.....A year is above average to keep one.

toonascott

Success, I found a really good site for goniopora. I found a picture of mine and it is definetly a Goniopora Pendulus. I quote from the site "This specimen is very similar to Goniopora stokesi except that it has slightly larger polyps, longer tentacles, larger mouths, and is more of an overall brownish color w/green tentacle tips."

toonascott

I have spent an entire day researching this coral. I think I have weeded out all the myths and here is how I am going to take care of this coral.
Moderate Light, Moderate to low water flow, keep it from touching other corals, target feed it with freeze dried copepods, zooplankton, cyclopeeze, oyster eggs, phytoplankton, artemia and finely finely ground frozen shrimp.
I am still open to any info or experiences.

miamireefr

Toona....Try all you must man...Bottom line is people who are experts still have a low success rate for long-term.. I currently have 2 different gonio's and have now looked and thrived but I am at 3 months...... If I can hold them for longer than a year I can be happy they lasted that long and I had the pleasure of enjoying there sight....If it dies with me or someone else eventually it's going to anyhow.. good luck!!

am3gross

i have done some research also on this such species and it is true that they usually last about a year to a year and a half...... now to the research.... i understand that they last longer in nutrient rich water, which is the one thing that we try so hard not to have in our home aquaria..... i to have one and it is on about his 7 month mark.... they are a nice looking coral and wish they would last longer in our aquariums. maybe one day we can figure out what these corals like the most and help them survive.

miamireefr

Yup...I am taking a dive on more money and was able to purchase a pink gonio which my wife has been nagging me about... I know they are tough but I have to try and I have been looking for one quite a while now...

toonascott

Well, its only been a week but I think I have made some important observations. IT LIKES LIGHT!!!! Lots of it. I put the gonio approximately 6 inches from the surface of my tank. I use a nova extreme lighting system, utilizing 4 39 w T-5 bulbs.Its not a halide but so far my branching hammer coral and my montipora love it. I actually had to move my zoos and mushrooms deeper as it was too much light for them and they didnt like it.

I tried to target feed the gonio today for the first time. All I did was shut off a couple power heads to reduce some water flow and then I sprinkled cyclopeaze above it. It didnt appear to like that. Instead of the polyps closing onto the food, the whole coral retreated into its skeleton. It came back out 10 minutes later fully extended and looked like its beautiful self again.
I think this type of goniopora may depend mostly on zooxanthellae and only time will tell if it will feed. I will keep ya posted.

john kelly

Originally Posted by ToonaScott
Well, its only been a week but I think I have made some important observations. IT LIKES LIGHT!!!! Lots of it. I put the gonio approximately 6 inches from the surface of my tank. I use a nova extreme lighting system, utilizing 4 39 w T-5 bulbs.Its not a halide but so far my branching hammer coral and my montipora love it. I actually had to move my zoos and mushrooms deeper as it was too much light for them and they didnt like it.

I tried to target feed the gonio today for the first time. All I did was shut off a couple power heads to reduce some water flow and then I sprinkled cyclopeaze above it. It didnt appear to like that. Instead of the polyps closing onto the food, the whole coral retreated into its skeleton. It came back out 10 minutes later fully extended and looked like its beautiful self again.
I think this type of goniopora may depend mostly on zooxanthellae and only time will tell if it will feed. I will keep ya posted.
This type of goniopora does NOT only (or mostly) depend on zooxanthellae. Is it frozen cyclopeeze or freeze dried that you are using? Use frozen. Mash it up in a bowl first and target feed the coral's polyps. It may take a few feedings before the coral gets use to being target fed, but eventually it will take the food. If the brown coloration of the coral begins to disappear then you have it too close to the light. The problem with the "green" goniopora is that it will extend under high intensity lighting, but over the period of months it will slowly bleach (lose zooxanthellae) so keep an eye on the coloration. A bright fluorescent green goniopora with no brown color is BAD.

toonascott

thanks for the help sir. I used freeze dried cyclopease, I am going to get some frozen and try in a few days. You mention too much light might have a negative impact. I will watch this closely, but do you think my little t-5s could bleach this coral? I picked all my corals based on water flow, lighting and hardiness. My gonio is the only coral I picked because I loved the look of it so much I would do anything to keep it alive at home and admire it each day. I think I wanted an excuse to setup another tank with metal halides, calcium reactor, and all sorts of other fancy gizmos. I think my gonio is in the ideal tank now, thanks again for the advice.

toonascott

update.... the gonio is doing fantastic. It seems to have doubled in size in a matter of two weeks. It has taken frozen brine and mysis shrimp. Time for the bad news...two problemos
1/ it is approaching 10 inch radius in my 12 inch wide tank. Good excuse to get a bigger one, hehehehe
2/ My damn percula clowns decided it is a host... they are driving it insane. They are going to kill it, no doubt about that. Little boogers left it alone all this time and now BLAMO, they are doing head stands on it, rubbing them selves all over it like insane horny elves attacking snow white. I even tried blowing them off it with a power head.... bad choice of words, but what do I do?
:help: :mad:
:scared: :notsure:

john kelly

It sounds like your goni is doing very well!
On the other hand, you'll probably have to sacrifice one or the other fairly quick. I'm in the process of consolidating several tanks into one and the clowns were the very first thing I sold. There are A LOT of posts in different forums where clownfish have bugged Goniopora to their deaths and very few where they didn't.

mr. guitar

Why does everyone think that Gonioporas are the hardest thing to keep alive? I can't even keep one of the easiest corals to take care of. I think that Gonioporas are pretty easy to keep. My first Goniopora "died" because of my Percula Clowns. Now, after about a couple of months after the Clownfish died that Goniopora is comin' back to life. Still looks a little beat up though but I'm sure it'll come back. I have an idea ToonaScott that might or might not work. Take your clowns out of the tank for a few minutes and move some things around in your tank..expecially the Goniopora. They might think it's a new tank and might not even bother the Goniopora. Then again they might go right to it. It's just a 50 / 50 chance. I did that once and it worked for me. Do you have an updated picture of it? Sounds like it's doin' great!!! Good luck!!!

reef bug

I've had a gonio for about 4 months now. My clowns have also claimed the coral as their new home and I was worried they were going to kill it. I tried moving it, hiding it, and even bought 2 new anemones to ditract the clowns. Nothing worked. They're persistan little buggers. On the up side, after 4 months of observing the clowns in my gonio, I really dont think they are repsonsible for any damage. I've read that their simple swimming through and wiggling...normal clown action is tolerated by the coral and that it is only when the clowns physically rip the tentacles that the coral is damaged. Although my clowns' behavior is annoying, it appears that it is more annoying to me than it is to my coral. The coral does not seem to mind and does not appear to have caused harm.
Sadly, my gonio bagan showing signs of recession, which was expected after researching this coral. My feeding consisted of Invert Smogasbord a few times a week, and blowing fine food over and around the coral with a baster. This didn't seem to be sufficient because the clowns or my shrimp would scavenge it all up with little or no reaction from the coral. When the coral began recede, I tried Coralife Invert Target Food. It's thicker than the invert smorgasbord and seems to cling the animals that I serve it to. It doesnt floaty away like other foods and my gonia immediateyl reacts when I feed. Since using this taget food, the receding seems to have stopped and gonia happier. I have also cut a 2-liter soda bottle in half and use the top half to make a feeding dome cover. I place the bottle over the coral and dispense the food through the top of the bottle. This give the coral a break from the clowns to enjoy its meal in peace. I leave it on for about 30 minutes or until the gonio appears to be done feeding. Hope this helps someone.

john kelly

Originally Posted by Reef Bug
On the up side, after 4 months of observing the clowns in my gonio, I really dont think they are repsonsible for any damage. I've read that their simple swimming through and wiggling...normal clown action is tolerated by the coral and that it is only when the clowns physically rip the tentacles that the coral is damaged. Although my clowns' behavior is annoying, it appears that it is more annoying to me than it is to my coral. The coral does not seem to mind and does not appear to have caused harm.
Sadly, my gonio bagan showing signs of recession, which was expected after researching this coral. My feeding consisted of Invert Smogasbord a few times a week, and blowing fine food over and around the coral with a baster. This didn't seem to be sufficient because the clowns or my shrimp would scavenge it all up with little or no reaction from the coral.
It is not that the clowns physically rip or tear the polyps, it is that they keep the coral retracted or semi-retracted or irritated to the point where it keeps them from obtaining food. In otherwords, Goniopora in general do not tolerate the clowns swimming and wiggling action. For every one forum post where Goniopora are "successfully" hosting clownfish, there are a dozen or more where they have unsuccessfully hosted clownfish. ........and there are even fewer that have hosted clowns for over a year.

toonascott

Well..... I am going to build a 75 gallon reef tank in order to keep my little clowns in their current 40 gallon and put my gonio into its own tank with fish you find it less attractive. :jumping:
I have lowered my expectations as well as my taste for the expensive. Here are the parts I aquired today.
My refugium, rescued from the trash. (this sort of inspired me to build this 75 gal reef setup)

6 more bags of this and I am in business

my cheap but awesome little pump

My 48x18x20 - 75 gallon tank and MegaFlow setup

toonascott

Clowns attacking Gonio at night

Ring Leader in Jail

Gonio almost back to his old self

My new Green Button Polyps

My mushrooms and Flame Goby, I just like this shot too much to leave out.

F

fishwilly1

Wazup Man, I Just Wanted To Throw My Two Cents In, I Had A Goni (flowerpot) For About 8 Mos. In A 65 Gallon Reef I Had Set Up And Had Two Percs With It Also. They Picked For A While At It But Done No Damage, Then After Trying Every Anenomae I Could With Them They Chose To Host In The Flowerpot, Which May Be What Yours Are Feeling Out Of It!! The Whole Process Took About 2 Weeks For The Goni To Let Them In Without Retracting All Tentacles But Once They Were Adjusted To Each Other It Was About 6 Of My Favorite Mos. Of Reefing To Watch Them Just Roll Over And Over In It. Good Luck With What Ever You Try, And Sharp Pictures!!!!!