ID needed

c130bubba

I found this washed up on shore in Emerald Isle, NC. It appears to be an anenome of some type. I would like to put it in my reef tank but would like to know what it is first. Anyone out there seen this before?:help: :D

T

thomas712

Looks similar to a curly Q but not quite, if it opens up get me another picture.
Thomas

stuckinfla

I bought a hermit with the same things attached, turned out they are a type of anenome. The hermits put them on themselves for protection. Did it release any long pink stringy stuff? and do they retract inside themselves when touched?

johnny5

stuckinfla id'd it correctly, try searching for calliactis anemone. There appears to be a few different species. They have a symbiotic relationship with dardanus sp's hermit crabs.
You may be able to keep it alive on meaty foods, but without the hermit im not to sure how long it will live.
If you bought a dardanus hermit it may "move" these anemones to its own shell. But thats a long shot and they are not reef safe, I had one for about a month and one day it went on a fragging spree. I now have xenia growing all over my tank... needless to say I took it back to the lfs and learned another lesson.
The anemones themselves seemed to love frozen brine.

c130bubba

The picture shows it the size it is when it is open. anyone see any reason why I shouldn't try it in my reef tank without the hermit crab.:joy:

johnny5

Go for it! :) I dont think they need much light, so just keep emm well fed. If you notice them getting lighter in color try placing them higher in your tank.
A variety of meaty foods once or twice a week should be sufficent.