ID on a lobster...I think

saltymac

Hello all, my wife came accross something moving under a rock a few weeks ago. Since then we've been trying to get a good look at it. Until tonight, the only thing I saw was two arms swishing at the entrance to his cave. This lead me to think it was a pom pom crab, but couldnt tell for sure because everytime we shined a light at his hole he would retreat. Tonight we got a better look at it seems to be some type of lobster. Two big maroon colored claws in the front, with blue mouth arms with filter feeder fans that he swishes and then puts in his mouth, which is a filter fan type thing. I dont know if this makes any sense, but its what we saw. I would post a pic, but my camera wont focus on him in the cave hes in..........Ive looked in my reference manual and on line, but cant find anything close to it. The funny thing is I never bought any lobsters......and havent added any rock or sand in a long time. Any help or a photo of any thoughts would be greatly appricated. Thanks and good luck.

grabbitt

It sounds like a porcelain crab. They've got fans that sweep consistently very much like your description to catch food floating by in the current. They tend to be shy, too.

grabbitt

Here's a pic of one. Look familiar? There are several color patterns, one of which may match your hitchhiker...

saltymac

WOW! Thats it....except for the colors that is it. Thanks for the fast response and the pic......very helpful, thank you.

dplantz

Just chimming in but have you seen it full yet? Just throwing out there if you said its the shape of a lobster, it could be a mantis shrimp.