ID: Plant-like thingies

f14peter

Apologies for the less-than-perfect picture, but have a few clusters of these guys popping up . . .

Not very large, maybe 1/4-inch tall and brown in color. I think the ends were more ball-like when smaller and they seem to have "blossomed" over the last few days. They started to appear right about when the rock they're on busted out with several feather-dusters.
Tank relatively new, only up for about 2-1/2 months.

ryanhayes9

you know what they look like mini aipstasia (sp?)
theyre bad but id wait for someone else to answer.
are there sort of tentacle things on them like anemones?

payton 350

you may be right but my baby apt's are just like that when they are the size of a pen head....so with mine i know right away....

f14peter

Originally Posted by ryanhayes9
are there sort of tentacle things on them like anemones?
Hard to tell as they're rather small right now. Some of the sprouts look like they're all growing upward from the end of the stem, some others look like they're growing in a sphere shape, like a dandylion (may be due to the angle I'm looking at).
Right now doing a google image search on aiptasia and while some examples look nowhere near what I have, some are quite similar (brown with a stalk) although no images so far that appear to show aiptasia at what would be the same growth-stage/age of what I got.
Of those that look similar, I do notice that the stalk of aiptasia is irregular and often bulges out at the bottom. I just took a look-see at my tank and all the stalks appear to be uniform in diameter, although it is hard to see due to their size (Many are probably only 1/8-inch tall). Of course, all the images appear to show this type of aiptasia larger and later in its growth.
We're headed out on an errand-run, may run by and if the LFS is open, grab some Joe's Juice just in case.