ID Please!!!!!! Feather star?

mojohoojo

HI got a weird hitchhiker today can anybody help ID please? it moves like a spider and frankly i touched it and my fingers still moving...

aquaguy24

wow u got the as a hitchiker...im not sure wat that is...looks like a feather duster but u said it moves like a spider so it can't be that...

mojohoojo

yeah! my cousin order some LR and it arrive from the LFS. When i open the packege i tot it was some sort of weed, when it moved we got Freaked out!! she hates spiders so she ask me to take it or she'll chuck it down the toilet..Do you think this is safe? its doesnt have any mouth not that i can see....

wfd1008

pretty harmless from what i've been told at a lfs, but take that as a grain of salt. also, was told that they aren't to hardy. google it and see what you find.

morval

+1
feather starfish is correct. they are filter feeders and are nocturnal so make sure u get some plankton in the tank in after lights out

spanko

Information from Bob Fenner
The arms/branchlets bear pinnules that convey food via seemingly twitching their tube feet toward and across an elaborate conveyor system. During feeding the arms and pinnules are outstretched and their podia are erect. The papillae along the length of the podia are secreting mucus, plankton becomes trapped in the mucus and the podia tosses it into the ambulacral groove where cilia carries it to the mouth. The mouth in turn leads to a short esophagus then intestine. The intestine makes one or more turn down around the aboral side of the animal then turns around and heads back up to a short rectum and anus. Waste is ejected as mucus balls which drop from the anal cone. The whole of this digestive tract is lined with undulating cilia.
Most species are nocturnal suspension feeders. You will want to have timers to cut off your particulate filter(s) during these feeding bouts. Best done by using timers to switch the filter pump motors off for ten to fifteen minutes.
Food material in the wild includes all manner of phyto- and zooplankton and general detritus. In public aquaria, cultured diets of brine shrimp nauplii, copepods and diatoms have proved effective.
Disease: Infectious, Parasitic
None noted.
Other Biology of Interest:
Though the size of extant forms is a few inches to a couple of feet in dimension, that of some extinct crinoids was very great. One (Extracrinus subangularis had a stalk of nearly 21.5 meter! in length. Yowzah.
By any visit to your friendly neighborhood or national natural history museum you can gain an appreciation for how species-rich and dominant crinoids were in reef communities of the geological past.
Close:
The un-stalked, commercially available Feather Stars are oft brilliantly colored/marked and not impossible to keep. They are for the most part entirely non-obnoxious, being non-predatory, not-tasty, and disease-free; perfect reef tank candidates.
Thought to be extinct prior to dredging studies by the Challenger expeditions of the 1870's, free-living crinoids are difficult but not impossible aquarium specimens. Requisite are selecting healthy individuals, providing subdued lighting and hiding spaces and an accommodating crepuscular to night time feeding routine.

michaeltx

I changed your title to get ophiura's attention they dont have a great survival rate in the aquarium hobby.
Mike

mojohoojo

Sigh! im returning to the LFS or maybe i'll just go down to our town reef and release it there. hopefully it be ok. I wont take risk it'll die in the LFS too hahah....but funny how come it could survive that long ?!

mcbdz

Please do not release on the ocean.

You should never release something that has been in your tank into the ocean. You can cause all types of issues.
Why not try to find an experienced reefer that has a large tank in your area. It would have a good chance. Or maybe an aquarium somewhere you could call and see if they will take it?

gypsana

I did an impulse buy on one of these. (I learned my lesson!!!). They do not have much of chance if any to survive in captivity. They slowly starve to death. (check out my previous posts) They are very beautiful and harmless. At least yours came as a hitchhiker and not purchased. I wish all LFS would refuse to carry these creatures. It is so sad to watch them die slowly. If you know some one with luck with extremely difficult livestock pass him on.

Originally Posted by mcbdz
http:///forum/post/2564856
Please do not release on the ocean.

You should never release something that has been in your tank into the ocean. You can cause all types of issues.
Why not try to find an experienced reefer that has a large tank in your area. It would have a good chance. Or maybe an aquarium somewhere you could call and see if they will take it?

I live in Ohio, so the chance that I would release something in the ocean is slim to nil...but just curious...why not?

michaeltx

Originally Posted by ChrisNCarrieB
http:///forum/post/2564878
I live in Ohio, so the chance that I would release something in the ocean is slim to nil...but just curious...why not?
releaseing something back into the ocean can introduce pathagens and other nasties into an area where there is no defense against. calupera species are banned form cali for this reason there is nothing in that area that can eat it and has become an envasive species in those areas.
same thing can apply to ick and other parasites that can run rampant if there is nothing to prey on it.
Mike

mojohoojo

well i thought so i have'nt released it to the ocean.....phew!!.....but if i send it back to the LFS they might just sell it off to some other buyer, so i figure i'll just find an experienced reefer and see if they would like to have it in exchange for something of course
.........in the mean time i'll get some plankton thingy that they sell in the LFS.... Note: if i live in US, i'll probaly ship it to one of you guys in the board ehehhehe

shrimpi

not all feather stars are as scary looking. The ones you will usually see talked about look something like the picture below. They are beautiful creatures.