ID please on Starfish

spammie5

I got this star yesterday from a not so lfs....It was mislabeled as a red serpent star...which I now realize it isn't. I HAD researched that red serpent stars would be a good addition to my tank and it's my bad for buying something I couldn't recognize was mislabeled BUT anyway...
Can anyone tell me what it is?
Will it eat my mushrooms that I have just above it?
I have also read now, that never let the star come out of the water, which I didn't do, but the girl who got him out of the tank did. Would I be better off taking him back?

meowzer

Originally Posted by geneohio
http:///forum/post/2972143
looks like a knobby starfish. Starfish should always be kept in water, never exposed to air.
+1 on the knobby starfish...I had one...they are not listed as reef safe...so you might want to think about returning it...

spammie5

Yeah....I just tried to call my lfs and they're already closed. He's cruising all around my shrooms and not showing any interest-YET. Can I float him in a bag in the tank until LFS opens tomorrow?

meowzer

well then I would just leave it for now...if you see it near your mushrooms then see if you can find a way to block them from it....Is your lfs open tomorrow (Sunday)?

spammie5

Nope...stupid lfs...lol
Thanks for the advice and help...I'm kinda bummed - he's such a cool little guy but I want to have things he'll eat so he's gotta go.

gypsana

What about placing him in a bucket/rubbermaid tub with a thermometer and a pump until you can find it a new home?

spammie5

I'm watching him closely right now....he's staying away from my mushrooms and has been ALL over the tank...so I think I'll leave him be and if he doesn't mess with my shrooms in the next 24 hours I may try to keep him for now until I upgrade my lights.

shyfish

Hi,
I know the books say a bumpy star isn't reef safe. I had one in my 75g for a long time, and it never hurt a thing.

meowzer

It's probably like everything else....some are some are not...If you aer not worried about your mushrooms than don't worry about it...I personally am building my reef and wouldn't chance it.

spammie5

Shyfish & Meowzer: The one thing I have learned in this hobby is that yes, each particular animal WILL have its own characteristics of what it will do or not do, eat or not eat...while everything i read DOES say that they are not reef safe, my theory is this: I can't really start building up my reef any more until I upgrade my lights. Yes, I have 2 small rocks with a total of 10 mushroom polyps. I will keep the star fed and watch him closely. If I find that he wants to eat my shrooms, it's back to the lfs he goes!
Thanks for the input on all!