ID Please(pic)

ddress007

Something is growing in my skimmer on the walls. They look like a spider egg(the fuzzy texture) with either tentacles or a duster look coming out the tops. A few days ago I had 2. Now I have like 10. Never seen any before; only after the addition of a sixline wrasse and royal gamma.
Thanks

ddress007

By the way, the middle of pic is the water cyclone and the lower left as well as the right walls are the organisms I'm talking about.

ddress007

Did they introduce through the fish(i dont see how), becuase I have never had them until after the addition of my new fish.

reefiness

if i remember correctly they just appear when you have excess nutrients, and adding the fish caused you tank to have more waste and nutrients in the water leading to these little critters.
I think i said that right... :notsure:

fishieness

Originally Posted by reefiness
if i remember correctly they just appear when you have excess nutrients, and adding the fish caused you tank to have more waste and nutrients in the water leading to these little critters.
I think i said that right... :notsure:
they they jsut around going to appear out of nowhere. they are an animal. and it took about 2 billion years forlife to appear on earth (and those were extreamly simple prokaryotes....doing evolution in AP bio
lol), so its not going to appear in your fish tank just when you add more nutrients. :joy: they just were in your system before, just not as prominent for you to notice.

joksta

i have many in my tank and they all came from rocks i baught at the store and have multiplied they are great for filtering

mudplayerx

I've gotten q-tip sponges even with no excess nutrients. I've attributed their appearance to just the right current flow and lighting. For instance, mine seem to like the shaded, low-flow areas of the tank like behind the skimmer and powerheads.