ID please

streetdoc

Would someone please ID this and let me know about proper placement in the tank and feeding if required? Thanks all.

meadbhb

Hiya,
Looks likes a tube anenome. Very agressive and will gladly sting fish. Takes some meaty foods. As for placement, sorry, can't help you.
Meadbhb

streetdoc

I believe it could be. It has a very dark brown, almost black base that comes to a rounded point unlike a true anenome that has a foot. Still would like to know where they are normally found so I can place it correctly. LFS wasn't much help except for telling me I should be able to place it anywhere and shouldn't have to feed it specifically.:rolleyes: That's why I posted here.

sonofkrono

for feeding any anemone, i sometimes go to the closest grocery store to pick it up a fresh shrimp(dead) or course but NOT cooked, frozen is ok, and just drop the shrimp into the middle of its "face" and watch it go!!! GREAT watching

bang guy

I believe they are mostly found buried in the sand with just the top of the tube and the tentacles exposed

T

thomas712

Tube anemones are generally filter feeders that require regular feedings of live or frozen small foods, and an emphasis should be placed on small feedings made as frequently as time will allow. Minimally, feeding several times per week with some krill or shrimp pellets seems to suffice. These animals live with their tubes buried deeply in fine sands and muds. The vast majority of these species are nocturnal, so you won’t normally see them all in their glory during the day.
They are not actually anemones they are cerianthids, but they were labled long ago and it stuck.
The one you have looks like a real beauty. Kinda like this.

streetdoc

Thank you Bang and Thomas for the info!! Thomas, is that pic one of yours? I like the look of the placement and wonder how it is doing there.

X

xnikki118x

I don't have one, but it definitely looks like a tube anemone, or cerianthid as Thomas said. My favorite LFS guy had a few of them in his reef a while back, and their tubes/bases were buried in the sand. They pretty much stayed in the bottom third of the tank, even when open.

T

thomas712

The pic isn't mine, I have a folder chuck full of anemone shots and things, part of how I learn about them. We can't all be EncycloBangpedias.