ID Please

inkman2004

Can anyone ID these polyps. I have had them about a month, and just didn't know the exact name ( neither did the LFS)

fmelindy

I've noticed everyone wants to name their zoos lately "Oh these are 'starfire' zoos" or "well these are 'Devil's eye' zoos". What difference does it make? They're all zoos and have the same care requirements and I'm sure there's no way standardize such colloquial names across the hobby anyway so that "devil's eye" zoos are called that in either L.A. or N.Y. or parts in between. I don't get it! We should stick with scientific names such as Parazoanthus, Zoanthus, Palythoa, etc so at least we all know what we're talking about!

bigarn

Originally Posted by fmelindy
oh those are Zoanthus sp. polyps, if you ask me. :D
Nah .... they're brown fringed dragon eyes! LoL ....

:D

inkman2004

If you didn't want to answer the post then don't answer. Maybe I thought there was a specific name for it. You guys name every other frigin thing in your tank. I guess I will look elsewhere for my answer in the future.

fmelindy

Whoa, sorry man, I didn't mean to offend you. I guess what I meant was that those things are Zoanthus polyps and any other name that someone might give them would be just something that sounds cool to them but might mean something totally different to someone else. I'm really sorry if it sounded like I was trying to blow you off or something. I was just expressing frustration at the lack of a standard naming convention, that's all. But you're right it did sound like it was all directed at you and I'm really sorry about that. Anybody know a common name for this guy's zoanthids?

fmelindy

And please don't take my ignorance as a reason to leave this board. It's a wonderful resource that I would rather quit myself than see you turn away from it just because I insulted you. I'm truly sorry and please feel free to use the board for whatever discussion you like.

f1shman

inkman calm down dude,
obviously they didn't know the exact name so they came up with something fun, fun is good

f1shman

fmelindy you'd leave to have him stay??
and in my oppinion you didn't insult him
but i respect both your oppinons :D

bergamer

Originally Posted by fmelindy
I've noticed everyone wants to name their zoos lately "Oh these are 'starfire' zoos" or "well these are 'Devil's eye' zoos". What difference does it make? They're all zoos and have the same care requirements and I'm sure there's no way standardize such colloquial names across the hobby anyway so that "devil's eye" zoos are called that in either L.A. or N.Y. or parts in between. I don't get it! We should stick with scientific names such as Parazoanthus, Zoanthus, Palythoa, etc so at least we all know what we're talking about!

you crack me up

anger seems to get the best of you lately

fmelindy

yes, it would seem that way! Although anger is not my intention....

Let's just forget it all - can't we all be friends? :)

inkman2004

If you read the post fishman we have already settled it. Quit agging it on. You didn't take it as an insult because you are an a@$. He said he didn't mean to be rude and he said that now he sees how it looked. I take his appology and hope he can give me advice in the future. I agree lets all be friends. Even the a@$!!

fmelindy

thanks inkman! I'm glad you're adult enough to be able to put that behind you and I appreciate it. I'd be happy to help anybody whichever way I can!