Id Please...

ogredawg

What is this? I bought some mushrooms today and the guy included this. It looks interesting so I put it in my tank. When you touch it, it's it feels like leather.

teen

looks like a gorgonian or sea fan of of some type. it looks like it might be dead since it looks like there red algae growing on it.

R

reefermadn

A Type of gorgonian I would think. Watch it for polyp extension. That will tell you if it's alive or dead.

ogredawg

That's what I thought it was. The reason why I kept it because there's a single red polyp zoo attached to it. It's not open on the picture but it is now. Thanx for the replies everyone.

dadummy

hard to tell from the pics, however I would not pronounce it dead just yet.
I found a gorgonian that had washed up after a storm. I broke a piece off and swam the rest of it back out. In the tank it looked like it was dying, very little polyp extension and a red rash. Then one day out of the blue the hermits were all over it. The gorgonian shed it's skin for lack of a better description.Now it has full polyp extension and a brand new looking flesh, looks better now than the day it came home.
good luck

ogredawg

Guess what!!! I think it's alive look at the pics. I came home today from work and I saw something different about it, I'm assuming that's the polyp extension "reefermdn" is talking about. So I guess my gorgo isn't dead yet. Do you guys think it's dying tho? Because I heard that these guys can't be expose to water. Well when I bought it the guy put it in the bag with almost no water in it and I put it in the bowl exposed to the air.

R

reefermadn

Houston, We have Polyp Extension!
It's alive....IT'S ALIVE!! :)
I'd fraggit. Seperate a section that has no red algae on it and see how it does.
Good luck.

ogredawg

I know I couldn't believe it. I really expected it to be dead, so when I came home and saw it I was really surprise. By the way the red algae has dissapeared and it's all cream color now. What else should I do from this point on?

R

reefermadn

Originally Posted by ogredawg
By the way the red algae has dissapeared and it's all cream color now. What else should I do from this point on?
Feed your tank some Phytoplankton and enjoy.

sharkbait9

put it in front/in high flow and blow the red crap off. They like strong flow and low light. feed it pyto and zoo.

ogredawg

Just an update on how my Gorgornian is doing. Thanks again for everyones help.
BTW What kind of Gorgonian is this?