ID please

pappa d

Couldn't feed my fish on time today and the automatic timer shut the lights off around an hour before i got home, so i turned them back on to feed the fish and saw this guy weaved in and out of a piece of lr. he's really long and i was wondering if anyone knew what he was. any info would be great, thanks-

cjason3041

well, mixed emotions on this one.......they are generally good. they eat detuis (sp) and keep the sand clean, but they can get REAL big and large in numbers if well for example you go away on business for 6 weeks and the wife overfeeds the fish....my tank looked like a worm farm. i lost most of the fish but that was water quality NOT the worms. like i said they are good for a system, but i use them as an indicater of overfeeding now.

pappa d

hm.. i wonder if i should attempt to catch the guy, he's really long. isn't it suprising to find the things in your tank you havn't noticed in months to be hidden in rocks or burrowed in the sand. haha

cjason3041

they have plenty of traps out there, both commercial and home made....search for bristle or fire worm traps....but i would not worry about them unless you see alot of them.....and yup i love to find new stuff....i stare at my tank for hours with the moon lights on

N

nereef

a huge detrivore is still just a detrivore. just because one is large doesn't make it any more dangerous. i believe the bad bristle worms have a pair of thorns on their head.