ID please

peachie98

Okay...I got this as a frag a few months ago. It's probably 4-5X the size of when I got it, and is now about 1 1/2" tall and about the same wide.
I have a picture of it closed (only green hard stuff) and open (brownish colored soft tenacle-like stuff that pops out of the green hard skeleton). The open picture it's not quite a full as it normally is..it got scared and pulled partially back in when I was taking the picture.
Any idea what it is and if there is anything special on it's care? As I said...I haven't spot fed it or anything and it's gotten really large! I have it closer to the lights and in a medium flow area of the tank.
Thanks!
p.s. it looks a lot like a fuzzy green mushroom picture but it has the hard green skeleton stuff??

chilwil84

yup a very strong stinging coral dont put any other sps u like unsecure above it cause if it falls on it its toast

peachie98

Originally Posted by chilwil84
http:///forum/post/2641814
yup a very strong stinging coral dont put any other sps u like unsecure above it cause if it falls on it its toast
ooh...that sounds bad. Does it harm others around it..or only if they "fall on it"?
I have it at the top of a flatter rock that I had attached it to when I got it, as well as some zoos lower on the rock, and it's right near the top of the tank where nothing can fall on it.
It was a freebee when I got a zoo pack they sent it along as well.
Thanks for the id! :)

paintballer768

It has to touch it to sting it. And Ive seen hydnophoras shrink in size before they start growing too, and great polyp extension. It looks very good right now, I would no worry.

jpc763

Actually I think that is a Hydnophora Rigida, not a Hydnophora Exesa.
I have one and it is 4-5 times bigger than when I got it. So far it has been a very nice coral and has not stung any other corals (although I have it in its own spot).
My Anemone decided to move to the same spot and lost the brief battle and moved away again.
J

peachie98

Thanks everyone! I was getting a little worried when you guys said it stings...but it's by itself except for the zoos below it so I think everything is safe. It's on the opposite side from my stuff like my frogspawn and bta that might reach out and get stung (or bother it). The only thing that is somewhat close is my curly-q anenome but if it gets too close I'm sure it will learn to stay away. haha
It's a really cool looking coral...the picture of it open isn't even fully open, it got shy when I was taking the pictures (and I scared it before that picture to get it to pull itself in so I could get a picture of the skeleton).

coachklm

ridgata is the branching hydro.... exesa is not as branching....so you are correct it is the rigitata(sp)

peachie98

Well, it seems like it's growing pretty fast...still a big chunk but I'm sure soon it will start to branch out more.