Id please

helpme74

I can't stop this stuff growing . it keeps coming back.
I have a 75 gal reef ready
temp 77
PH 8.3
Salinity 1.024
Cal 450
KH 12.5
ALK 4.34
AMM 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0

ilovemytank

theres alot of ways to get rid of cyno. reduce feedings, frequent water changes, remove as much as possible manually, water flow, ectra...They all work. If you want to do it quickly there are chemical options like red slime remover. This one kills some good bacteria too but I know of amazing results with it quickly. I do have one suggestion though that I can see by your picture.
Your koralia 4 pumps are almost the same hight across the tank from each other with very slight angel ( direction ) difference. You aren't maximizing the awesome power that you can with them. One should be a little lower blowing across the bottom of the sand. The other should be several inches higher aiming a little upwards, thus creating good water circulation. The way you have it alot of the water flow is crashing into each other creating turbulant water movement instead of a good circulation flow.
Good Luck.

bizzleb01

Good luck my friend. I've tried everything except the chemicals to get rid of it and it still comes back. It's been about a four month battle so far.

ilovemytank

red slime will will have it completely gone in two days. There is another type I think the name is " chemi-pure" That not the the correct name but if you search for chemical solutions you'll recognize it by my guess. It works even better than red slime. you should take the cover off your skimmers collection chamber to allow over flow of water or turn off your skimmer for three days once dosed. otherwise the skimmer will create massive skim and constantly run over. It will not hurt corals,fish or invertibrates. I've watched people post there steps and go weeks or months while performing constant maintence and not remove it. I have had two patchs in all my reef keeping and tried the natural way. both times I had it disapear in two days max with the chemical way. I know of alot of success of others with the chemicals and never a bad one.

gmann1139

If its cyano, not dinoflagellates (I think that's closer, Reno), you need to find the source of the phosphates.
Are you feeding frozen food? It tends to be high in phosphates.

ilovemytank

cyno is a bacteria that can be brought into the tank or started in the tank. It usually means poor water quality from an abundance of phosphates and nitrites or nitrates. That is what it feeds on. once it is present it can massively spread even with good reduction in phosphates and nititres. Even if you do use a chemical to get rid of it, then you still have to take a close look at why your numbers are high or your practices. Thats why in the first response I gave I listed many ways to help get rid of this. All those practices are aimed at reducing the phosphates and nitrites and waste in the tank. Ieven though you have to change practices in your tank to get the under lying problem, you can spend months trying to get rid of this in your tank with out the chemical ( red slime remover or chemi clean ( yeah I know I told you chemipure but thats wrong ) )Then change your practices and test your water frequently until you get it where you want. good luck. This is not one of the fun joys of owning a tank.