ID please

lxxnp1234

Hi guys,
I found this little thing in my tank just now. It's flat and moving slowly. Is it a zoa eater?
BTW, I lost my zoa frags one by one. When it died, all of them are shrunk. Some heads were still open, but when I touch them, they were not closed. LFS people told me there may be some bugs eat my zoas. I found little snails and little starfish. Which one is the zoa killer? I really need advice.
Thanks.

spanko

Picture in post #1 is a chiton.
Can't see the first picture in post #2 but looks like either collonista or limpets.
Second picture in post #2 is an asterina starfish.
Nothing of concern here, all will be helpful in keeping the tank clean. Enjoy the diversity.

teresaq

Check your zoos for nudis. If you can take them out, just swish them aroung in some ro water that is the same temp and ph. also check to zoos for little swirls of white eggs.
Great find on the chiton, I paid good money for mine. lol

lxxnp1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeresaQ http:///forum/thread/383270/id-please#post_3350876
Check your zoos for nudis. If you can take them out, just swish them aroung in some ro water that is the same temp and ph. also check to zoos for little swirls of white eggs.
Great find on the chiton, I paid good money for mine. lol
Thanks for advice. I will try to do this RO water dip. How long can I put the zoa frags in the RO water? And how to deal with the zoa colonies?
BTW, I am curious how much do you buy a chiton?

teresaq

lol, I paid about 3.50 for mine.
I would just pick up the rock, and swish it around in the water to see if anything falls off. You can also do a coral dip of you prefer. (cant remember the name of it) (but if you do a search in the zoas forum for nudi and or dip you should find some info on it.)

xcali1985

Iodine dip? Not exactly sure of the process but its a concentrated mix of iodine and saltwater and you can actually watch the critters run out of the rock looking for a better environment.

lxxnp1234

Guys,
Something new is found. It's some kind of eggs (I think) on the zoas and it's also INSIDE the zoas. I cann't get rid of it from the zoas. I did the fresh water dip. Only some babby Copepod s came out. What kind of eggs are the? Copepod s lay eggs on the zoas? eat zoas?
Thanks.
The white spots are the eggs.

btldreef

I think you have zoanthid eating nudibranch's that are laying eggs in your zoanthids. Do you have a way to QT your zoanthids?

btldreef

quarantine.
Um, it is bad news. But zoanthid eating nudibranchs can be dealt with. If you can get some Coral ReVive or Lugol's Solution (made by Kent Marine) and dip your zoanthids in that, it would be a big help. If you have a way of Qt'ing them, I would. This way you can keep an eye on them in a separate tank to make sure that you got all of the eggs and nothing hatches and there are no more little monsters eating your corals.

lxxnp1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLDreef http:///forum/thread/383270/id-please#post_3353200
quarantine.
Um, it is bad news. But zoanthid eating nudibranchs can be dealt with. If you can get some Coral ReVive or Lugol's Solution (made by Kent Marine) and dip your zoanthids in that, it would be a big help. If you have a way of Qt'ing them, I would. This way you can keep an eye on them in a separate tank to make sure that you got all of the eggs and nothing hatches and there are no more little monsters eating your corals.
OK. How to QT the zoas? Do you mean put the zoas in into a small container?
Do the nudibranchs eat acan, candy cane or other LPS?

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxxnp1234 http:///forum/thread/383270/id-please#post_3353214
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLDreef
http:///forum/thread/383270/id-please#post_3353200
quarantine.
OK. How to QT the zoas? Do you mean put the zoas in into a small container?
Do the nudibranchs eat acan, candy cane or other LPS?
I'm referring to putting them in their own tank, but a specimen container does work, sometimes.
No, zoanthid eating nudibranchs only eat zoanthids and similar polyps (protopalythoas).

lxxnp1234

Thank you.
I put all my zoas and polyps into a smaller tank with the water from the main tank. I did the fresh water dip before I put them in. I will do the fresh water dip every day and do the medical dip every three days. I will update the result.

lxxnp1234

I put all my zoas in a seperate tank now. I used reef-dip to dip all my zoas every another day for a week. I didn't see any nudi when I dip zoas. the white spots on my zoas are still there and I find some new ones this week.
I am wondering the white spots are the nudi's eggs or not. If they are, how long will they become the babby nudi?