ID Please

sdascher

This is a pretty red snail!!! I have a few of these hitch hikers, but I saw in one of my books, a simular snail that is not reef safe!! (now I can't find it - too many books!) He was red also, maybe a little different than this little guy. Does anyone know what kind of snail that this is and is this snail reef safe??? He is now living with his buddy's in a plant tank until I can ID and make sure that they are safe.

sdascher

Me again..... he is not really red, more of a creamy orange??? I did however examine this little guy up close with 10X mag. and he has tiny white dots on him!! Really pretty!! Hope this added info helps to ID him.

agro

I had the same snail in my tank and it was ID'd as a horse conch. Which is carnivorous and will eat just about anything. If you do a search for horse conch or look in the photography section at the 'conch pics' thread you will see mine.

sdascher

Yea, it is soooo pretty but pretty don't get it if he will kill others!! I don't know if anyone else has this, but I have a separate "extra" 10 gal. tank ( Critter Tank ) that has a few little things in it that I don't want in the big reef tank like... 4 hermit crabs that got way too big over the past year, a couple of rock mojo anenomes that were on small rocks, a cucumber, a lg. brown hairy looking crab and some small shrimp, some with green belly's that I haven't been able to ID (they are small & fast) and now these conch's! The tank has been set up with LR for about 1 & 1/2 years - Mechanical filter & undergravel filter mainly for hiding places and so far, its not been a war zone!! I have only lost one hermit crab and one flat red rock crab over the last year. I have plants & around 5 lbs. of LR in there also with lots of hiding places. I just don't have the heart to kill anything except bristle worms! I feed them everyday and do water changes etc..