ID question & PH question...

flydan

Hey,
I just added some LR and have a mystery creature that I think is a bristle worm. It's the size of a grain of rice, bright yellow with darker spot on top. It's head is white with a couple of feelers sticking out. It moves like a slug. It's too small to see if it has bristles on the sides. It just caught my attention because of the color.
Now the PH question, I have a 55gal reef with dsb and 2 ph's. One is up high and the other down low, both directed towards the middle of the tank. My question is, how do I prevent the lower ph from blowing my ls around? Just put it higher? (They are both Hagen 420's BTW)
Thanks everybody,
Dan'l :D

jacksonpt

Can't comment on your new critter, for as for the powerheads... some come with an attachement you can use to aim the water output from PH. If yours did not come with one, then you have one other option - put a small piece of rock (make sure it is heavy enough not to be blown around by the PH) where your LS is being disturbed.
Bottom Line... it's a current issue. If you can deflect the current away from your LS, you will be in good shape. Otherwise, all you can do is raise the PH.
Good luck.

flydan

Hey,
Thanks! Anybody out there have any idea's on the critter? At least nobody has been screaming "Get it out!!! Get in out fast!!!" :D I'd have to try and find it again anyway since it's moved on, or been eaten by Wilbur. (My Bangaii Cardinal is a pig. Get it? :p )
Take care,

orby

I'm thinking it could possibly be a nudibranch, I found one in my tank at one time and then it never made an apperance again. I really don't think that it's a bristle worm because of the 2 "antenna" on its head. As far as if it's safe or not, your guess is as good as mine. :rolleyes:

flydan

Thanks! Don't have a clue what a nudibranch is but I've heard them mentioned on this bb.
OK, back to the ph's. I posted this question on another stream, but does anybody have a way to adapt a flow deflector to a Hagen 402? I called Hagen and they make them for smaller models only and they wont fit on a 402. I need one for more surface aggitation and one to protect my dsb. I can angle them a bit, but not enough. I did manage to scavange some parts off an old Aquaclear filter to prevent snails ect. from getting ground up in the impellers. :D
Take care,

burnnspy

Nudibranchs are sluglike creatures, they are specialized feeders. It may harm a reef tank it depends on what it feeds on, if not supplied the right food it will die.
BurnNSpy

Dan,
Keep an eye on that Nudibranch. There are a few problems with them...
-They are specialized feeders, as BurNSpy mentioned, and don't often do well in captive systmes.
-Sometimes, when they die, they can release the poisons of all of the corals/sponges they have eaten... they store these as a defense mechanism.
-Most Nudibranches eat some sort of corals or sponges, though some do eat Algae and the dreaded Aiptasia.
Hate to break it to you, but your's sounds like it might be the Soft Coral-Eating type. I've heard of small Yellow Nudis decimating Colt Corals and the like. Keep an eye on this guy...
HTH
[ June 25, 2001: Message edited by: tangs_in_pacifica ]

krazzydart

you can get some pvc plastic pipe for the power head (measure it and get it accordingly) then cut and heat the pipe and squeeze the end together somewhat and bend it to the shape you want!!!!

flydan

Yuck! Ok, so assuming this thing is a nudibranch, it's the size of a grain of rice, I have a 55gal tank with no corals (yet), will it just starve? Can something that small release enough toxins to harm my tank? All that's in there right now is LR/LS,1 Bangaii Cardinal, a few turbos and a couple Emerald Crabs.
Thanks everyone!