"Ideal" Home Aquarium Sharks

krj-1168

The ideal sharks for home aquariums are species of the Bamboo & Epaulettes, as well as the genus Heterodontus(Horn or Bullhead), and the Coral catsharks. What is the main critria to be considered an Ideal species for the Home Aquarium?
Basically a species that meets all of the following.
- Very hardy species (very tough health wise)
- any species that can can be kept for it entire live in a tank that is no greater than 1,000 gallons.
- Any species that can be kept in an aquarium with water temps in the normal range for aquariums(70-80F), and don't require special equipment - like a Chiller.
- any species that can be kept by an eduacated novice keeper.
There are 3 species of the Bamboo Sharks that are common in the U.S. These are as follows. All bamboo sharks are tropical species - preferring water temps between 74-82F. Most shark keepers consider these sharks to the perfect sharks for novice keepers - due to the fact that are general very good feeders(once they start feeding), and are generally very hardy.
The Brown-banded
(C. punctatum) - these are the largest & most common of all bamboo sharks - and possible the shark, most commonly found in LFSs across the country. This shark is also known as the Banded cat shark, or banded bamboo. They can grow to 40", although they generally average about 36". While, most books & internet sources say that the Brown-banded needs at least a 180 gallon tank. The truth is this shark need a tank with a footprint of at least 7' long x 3.5' wide(or at least 270 gallons).
The White-spotted
(C. plagiosum) is the 2nd most common species. They grow to about 36" in length. The species is a bit more aggressive & more voracious than the Brown-banded. This shark needs a footprint of at least 7' long x 3' wide(or at least 240 gallons).
The Grey-banded
(C. griseum) is the rarier than the whitespotted or Brown-banded, but still fairly common in the North American trade. While this is the one of the smallest bamboo sharks available in the NA trade. They grow to about 2.5' in length. Still, this shark needs a tank with a footprint that is at 6' long x 2.5' wide(or at least 170 gallons).
There is only one species of epaulette that is commonly available in North America. That is the common Epaulette
(H. ocellatum). They grow to 3.5' in length. And it is are the largest member of the entire family(bamboo/epaulette sharks). Some source claim this species can be kept in 180 or even 240 gallon tanks. But the truth is this shark requires a tank with a footprint at is no less than 8' long x 4' wide(or at least 320 gallons).

[hr]
The Horn/Bullhead genus(Heterodontus) is one of the oldest living genus of sharks - dating back about 150 million years. Presently this genus has 9 living species - only 2 members of this genus are available in the North American market. These are the Californian Horn & the australian Port Jackson's Sharks. Both species are very hardy, and are huskier than any member of the Bamboos/epaulettes family. While the 2 species found in the North American trade perfer cooler water temps than the Bamboos & epaulettes - they seem to prefer water temps in the upper 60's to upper 70's.
The Horn
(H. francisci) is the most common species of the Horn/bullheads in North America, since this shark is native to the waters of southern California, and Baja California. These sharks rarely get above 38" in captivity, but they are huskier than the bamboos & epaulettes, and can weight up to 22lbs. While this species has often been called a "cold water" species - studies have shown that it seems to prefer water temps in the range of 67-75F. While these sharks are generally fairly docile in nature - they tend to be very voracious feeders. They are generally a long lived species - living up to 20 years in captivity. Juvenile Horns have been kept in tanks as small as 50 gallons, but really should moved to a much larger tank within the 1st year. They also require an aquarium with a footprint the same of as the Brown-banded Bamboo, 7' long x 3.5' wide(at least 320 gallons).
The Port Jackson's
(H. portusjacksoni) is the giant of this genus. This species can grow up 5.5', but rarely grows larger than 4.5' in length. They are native to Australian waters. And seem to prefer water temps in the range of 65-77F. They are rarier in North America than the Horn. Their larger size makes them really suited better suited for a more experienced keeper. Or maybe as a second shark - if the keeper, has already kept the Horn as their first shark. Like the Horn & all sharks on this list - the Port Jackson can be kept in smaller aquariums as a juvenile - but moved to a larger tank as it grows. They require a tank with at least a 11' long x 5' wide footprint ( or at least 950 gallons).
more to come later.

krj-1168

what kind of shark do you have?
Presently none.
I've had bamboos, catsharks & a nurse in the past.
The nurse pup, I gave it away when it got too large(about 30"long) for the tank(a 180) I had at the time. The last time I talked to the guy, I gave it to - He had the nurse in a 1,200 gallon(10 ft diameter) pool, and it was about 4' long at that time. And he said that he was considering upgrading to a 15' diameter pool, in the near future. But that was about 5 years ago.
I lost Brown banded Bamboo(my 1st shark) & coral catshark, due to forces beyond my control(ie. unexpected power outage- due to hurricane(the bamboo) & ice storm(the coral cat)).
I also once has, whitespotted bamboo(18" at the time) that I sold to a friend - who had once worked at a lfs in his home town. He said he always wanted a shark, & he had a custom built 240 gallon - he got from the lfs - which had been a clam tank - to house the shark in. And the last time I talk to him, the shark was fine.
Right now, I seriously considering my next shark to be a horn.
I've talked to several people who have horns, including a guy that has 4 different species of bullheads(Horns. PJ, Japanese, & the rare Zebra), & he's actually successfully bred the horns. I have looked the available information on the horn, & port jackson's in the wild(including the water temp ranges where they are normal found), most on the 'net, but also in various books.
Hope that helps

krj-1168

The next group is the Catsharks. There is really only one genus of catsharks that ideally suited for home aquariums - Atelomycterus. Most of the 14 genra of catsharks require water temps under 70F, most no higher than 65F.
The species of catsharks of the genus - Atelomycterus are all tropical species of catsharks. But only 2 members of this genus are usually found in North American Fish stores & online dealers. These are the Coral Catshark & the Marbled Catshark. Both are similar size, price & habitat.
The Coral Catshark
(A. marmoratus) grows up to 27.5"(70cm) in length, but usually averages about 2' in length. They are native to tidal pools, with a preferred water temps of 74-84F. They are voracious feeders, and have been known to attack fish larger than themselves. They are nocturnal, and are very active at night. Their adult size makes them an ideal shark for anyone who wants to keep a shark, but doesn't have a tank over 200 gallons. They do quite well in shallow tanks with a good size foot print. This species requires a tank with a 5' long x 2.5' wide(or at least 120 gallons) footprint.
The Marbled Catshark
(A. macleayi) only grows to 24"(61 cm) in length. Like it relative the Coral Catshark - it is a tidal species with the same water temp preferrences.
The Marbled catshark is a bit rarier than the Coral on North American Fish stores, but is still fairly common. It's require tank size is also basically the same as the Coral catsharks.
more to come.

sebae09

If you want i can give you a good website. they even sell the zebra. im still considering a zebra horn but i have a bamboo and 6 blacktips. ive had a nurse and sharpies also.

krj-1168

A Zebra Horn is interesting to say the least - I've heard that they aren't generally as hardy as the CA horn or Port Jackson's. And yes, I would love the website.
Also how are the Sharpies? They are kind my dream sharks. I've heard they generally do will in captivity, and I heard that they are highly active, fast swimmers, & voracious feeders. I know they usually stay under 4'. There's an online dealer that lives within 20 miles of me that gets Sharpie pups often during the summer months - I talked to him - and he recommends a 18ft diameter pool for the sharpies & no less than that.

sebae09

I will need your Email to give it to you they wont let us post other websites on here.
the sharpies are pretty easy to keep ive had no trouble. I even collected them myself. they are very active and can swim very fast at short burst. i gave mine to a friend because my blacktips just couldn't compete with them at feeding time. you dont realy need that big of a tank unless they are fully grown. for a pup i would recomend a 10foot diamiter pool

krj-1168

well - I believe the online dealer's exact wording was - an adult sharpnose needs at least an 18' diameter pool. But the 10' diameter for a pup or two make perfect sense - and it something that suspected before talking to him(the online dealer).
By the way - sebae09 - my email address is krj112068@aol.com

krj-1168

By the way - sebae09 - where, when & how do collect the sharpies. I've hear that that the sharpies have nursing grounds in the estuaries of the carolinas.
you can emil me the details - if you need to.

sebae09

I start going right after spring starts down at oak island NC close to wilmington i normally go every 3 or 4 weeks and stay for about 4 or 5 days put them in a big circle container i got from tractor supply with good filters going and good current to bring them home. while im there i have a blowup baby pool thats like 12x6 for them to swim in while I enjoy the beach
I normally get 6 blacktips and 2 sharpies maybe a nurse shark or ray and possibly a bonnethead depending on if i get lucky and catch one.

krj-1168

Well, sebae09 - since I don't have a shark pool that is set up and ready to handle sharpie pups a this time - I think this trip is out of the question for me.
And as I recall about the sharpie biology - they are generally found in NC & SC coastal waters & estuaries from late spring thru the summer months. So the chances of me being able to house one or two before the end of the season - isn't very good.
Instead I try to shot for next year(late spring to summer.
Still, Wilmington & Oak Island are only about 50 miles from where I live.
So for me, it's a simple day(or maybe weekend) long fishing trip.
Also, sebae - let me how the trip goes.